Segnosaurus egg real?

Wowbnjijdat

Hi guys,

I found this egg on al local auction website. To me it looks very real, but I would like your opinion on it. It is real a dream for me to poses a real Dinosaur egg.

The egg is form a Segnosaurus and is found in the Xixia region in China. 

Kind regards,

JK

$_85-2.JPG

$_85-3.JPG

$_85-4.JPG

$_85-5.JPG

$_85-6.JPG

$_85-7.JPG

$_85-8.JPG

JK the egg definitely has real dinosaur shell material around it.  It's shape is odd and suggests that it's been composited by loose shell fragments but its hard to say without examining it in my hands.  The shell fragments look placed not natural and the cracks between the shells are quite large .  Most " Segnosaurus " eggs I've seen are not that shape here is one in my collection and an online image.  So I'm concerned.

download.jpg.bdf1a2555e70520d5646e4efacb6abe8.jpg58f0ae484d48a_download(1).jpg.bb2b73d0cbb88ba18a18b41b7a28ef26.jpg

FYI Dinosaur eggs are not described to species but areally classified to oolithus types.

Thank you for your quick response Troodon!

I also found thijs tread on the website:

So I think someone had to much spare time...

A real shame, I really thought I had finally found a real Dinosaur egg..

Wow same egg.  Unfortunately fabricating eggs is common practice and many fakes are sold.

I agree with Troodon.  Looks like real shell but a composite likely glued together.  Notice some of the longer pores on the top pieces of the first picture- these should all run in the same direction where on this "egg" they would run into each other.  The shell also looks like it belongs to Oviraptor and not Segnosaurus.  The pieces should fit together like a puzzle where if you could imagine pushing them together to close the cracks between them the shell would come together nicely- this one is close but looks like the shell was probably cut and shaped.

Looks very much like a composite.  Id run away fast.   i saw an eldery guy last january while at the Quartzite show who had some 'dino' eggs.  He was such a nice old guy I didnt have the heart to tell him he had a trio of fake eggs.    Just keep looking.  You should find a real one one day.  The good thing is, now your lerning what to look for.  Good luck

RB 

Furthermore, keep in mind the export-restrictions concerning fossils in China...

Best regards,

Pemphix

1 minute ago, Pemphix said:

Furthermore, keep in mind the export-restrictions concerning fossils in China...

Best regards,

Pemphix

Although there are export restrictions from China, it hasn't stopped authentic eggs from being traded around the world.

There were thousands of them exported out before the government started cracking down, and even now more are being brought out.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Yup, and that is exactly why i wrote these lines: in my opinion, the legal status of those eggs is unclear (in best case..).

Best regards,

Pemphix  

Is it me Troodon or are your specimens always a lot better than the Google equivalent?

Thanks for sharing.

49 minutes ago, BadlandTraveller said:

Is it me Troodon or are your specimens always a lot better than the Google equivalent?

Thanks for sharing.

Ha ha always working to get good specimens

Archived