Bendy

New member planning fossil trip in WA

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm a newby here from Bunbury WA hoping for a word of advice or two.

I was obsessed with dinosaurs and fossils as a kid and had aspirations of becoming a palaeontologist up until my early teens, although in the end I settled for studying environmental science for a range or reasons. My love of fossils etc took a backseat for a long time but recently my son has shown an interest in it and it's been such a joy to revisit my earlier passion and share it with him.

We are heading up to Shark Bay in a few weeks and I'm tempted to take him fossil hunting along the way.  Two areas I'm considering visiting include Gingin and the Bringo Railway Cutting (Geraldton).  

Im aware of the Molecap Hill Quarry in Gingin but undestand that it's on private property. Can anyone recommend some publically accessible fossil sites in the area?

Ive heard of the Bringo Railway Cutting but don't know much about it. Is it publically accessible and worth a look?

Any advice/recommendations etc would be most welcome.

Regards

Ben

@sandgroper  Any suggestions? I don't know WA but welcome to the forum!

Gday mate,

.                    I'm not sure whereabouts in Shark Bay you're going but if you're travelling out along the Useless Loop road there are quite a few oncolite fossils out towards False Entrance and Steep Point if you have a bit of a look.  You'll also find various bivalves embedded into the cliff faces. 

The Bringo railway cutting is easy to get too but there are some cuttings alongside the road that might be better to search as they're probably safer than poking around near the train line. I've never searched the roadside cuttings but have often thought they could be worth a look because I can't see why they wouldn't contain fossils. I know a couple of cockies in the area that have fossils on their farms including fossil wood, bivalves and amonites but they are private property. The roadside cuttings go through exactly the same countryside though so I can't see why they wouldn't contain the same sorts of fossils. Hope this helps, good luck and let us know how you go!

Thanks for the advice. Steep point etc wasn't on the radar but am keen for a look, will keep you posted.

Incidentally, what's the story with fossicking law? I'm told I need a miners right??

I don't know about needing a miners right, I know I haven't got one! I've never even thought of that.