Jurassic coprolite?

Napoleon North

Hi 

This is maybe coprolite?

This specimen is incomplete .

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

It looks like it could be. I don't see any inclusions, but the shape is right. If it sticks to your tongue, and the surrounding matrix does not, I would say yes. If you don't like the idea of touching the tip of your tongue to it, you can try wetting your fingers and touching it to see if it feels sticky. Not nearly as fun, but it works too!

3 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

It looks like it could be. I don't see any inclusions, but the shape is right. If it sticks to your tongue, and the surrounding matrix does not, I would say yes. If you don't like the idea of touching the tip of your tongue to it, you can try wetting your fingers and touching it to see if it feels sticky. Not nearly as fun, but it works too!

Ok 

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

It could be a coprolite, also a sponge, infilled burrow or speleothem. I suppose it was found in a carst region. It's hard to see the surface texture without a high-res image. For comparative reason, here is an elongated sponge.

IMG_0177.JPG.631cdc0af9858d40fbc87df28cb33872.thumb.JPG.604381f2f31b2d26bdc843ef4d1994f1.JPGsp005a__85033.1435951122_900_900.thumb.jpg.69ffad589c2db26f9239c4cd58f870c8.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library