Fossil-Hound

@DevonianDigger found this beauty before @Kane could get to it! @Kaneworked hard to dig this slab out but @DevonianDigger cracked the slab open before he could! Hence the new phrase (after his name) is: You've been Jayed! :hammer01::ighappy: @DevonianDigger didn't even know it was from his pile. What a find!

IMG_5659.JPG

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Very nice trilo! Poor Kane, he must be :megalodon_broken01:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Meh, didn't work hard -I yank out slabs with ease :D

was a great find. We all came away with a lot of great trilos :trilo:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Kane you should change your name to human wrecking ball. :D @Darktooth we're just getting started. Will post next week when I get home around Wednesday. ;) You should see some of the things the other guys found. We all had a pretty good day.

10 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Where are pics of all the other finds! @Kane @DevonianDigger @jsnrice:popcorn:

Getting there! Still have a few days worth of collecting to do, and the the drive home, and cleaning up a whole rubbermaid container of goodies :)

Collective trip report and pictures to come once everyone is settled back home.

38 minutes ago, Kane said:

Getting there! Still have a few days worth of collecting to do, and the the drive home, and cleaning up a whole rubbermaid container of goodies :)

Collective trip report and pictures to come once everyone is settled back home.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Didn't realize you guys are still there collecting. Well good luck finding more goodies. Looking forward to seeing everything!:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

We got a morning in before the rain. And this little fellow should clean up nice. We'll be back at it tomorrow.

IMG_3091.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

@Kane with all your rough rock obliteration I am surprised this one came out intact!:ighappy:

@jsnrice lol... At this point, I just wave the sledge menacingly and the rock gives up its goodies :D

Three is company. Two gorgeous Eldredgeops rollers and below them on the left is a semi-prone. These were found just before it started to rain. Can not wait to prep the trilobite still in the shale.

IMG_5690.JPG

Here, since I'm the bad guy, I'll post some of my ill gotten gains! :P

First up is a Spyroceras sp. a little over 6" long. Thanks to @jsnrice for helping to carefully extract this bad boy. He snagged the equally awesome reverse as payment.

20170415-000.jpg.d00b5c1b1885cc0402f6c785f2c930fc.jpg

A double Eldredgeops rana from day 1:

20170414_185423.thumb.jpg.08a308e33320f1c884d4ee8c638528eb.jpg

After round 1 of prep:

20170415_231619.jpg.1b6fa390ded99f202ce6ad99c601419a.jpg

After a little more prep work:

20170415_231846.jpg.d2eade05607df38e4806441831b99e94.jpg

And, with a little water:

20170415_231950.jpg.766f298e96866b7147e56b5c8029b652.jpg

More to come!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

@DevonianDigger yes that Spyroceras sp. was a beauty but my gosh man look at the double prone. Amazing prep job. Can't wait to see what this slab looks like once you've finished polishing it up. It already looks stunning. Also looking forward to seeing the before and after prepping of your mega-prone. In fishing terminology we would call that one a "whopper." :drool: :popcorn:

Hey guys nice finds! My brother and I are planning to come up to the penn dixie area this week. Leaving thursday morning and camping out then finding our way over that area. I saw the place opens this saturday to the public. Do you guys  live near by? 

Very nice trilos! :trilosurprise:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

11 hours ago, Umbro said:

Hey guys nice finds! My brother and I are planning to come up to the penn dixie area this week. Leaving thursday morning and camping out then finding our way over that area. I saw the place opens this saturday to the public. Do you guys  live near by? 

@Umbro if you are a member then you can just go in whenever but make sure you send Phil or Jay an email. Membership is $25. The site officially opens to the public this Saturday for Earth Day where visitors are encouraged to clean up the park and dig for fossils. There will be food trucks nearby so bring a few dollars for lunch. Also bring plenty of water and sunscreen for Saturday. I would not recommend Thursday or Friday as the weather will be wet and gloomy. You don't want to be out there during a rainstorm because the metal tools you have will attract lightning and you're in an open field.

On 4/17/2017 at 10:57 AM, Umbro said:

Sorry for such a late response, I took a day to recover after the weekend!

I will be working at the site on Saturday for the public opening, so if you come out just ask for me at the main pavilion when you get there and I will meet up with you! Always awesome to meet TFF members in person!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Thanks guys! Yeah We decided we'll come up tomorrow and stay over night in a forest camping, then make our way to the sight on saturday. 

@Umbro Have fun! The weather should be good for collecting. Just make sure you do not leave any fossils unattended for risk of them getting "Jay'd" :D

35 minutes ago, Kane said:

@Umbro Have fun! The weather should be good for collecting. Just make sure you do not leave any fossils unattended for risk of them getting "Jay'd" :D

Bawhaha! More like don't leave any slabs unattended! I got Jay'd by the great @DevonianDigger a few days ago. He asks, "Hey man would you like some help with that slab." I reply, "Sure!" 10 minutes later he pulls out this massive twisted E. rana. I swear he has a trilobite detector in his pocket and he knows exactly where they are. In all fairness we did work together to get that bench out, but that Jay is a crafty one. ;) :ighappy: :trilo: