Fossil-Hound

Lol, you guys are killing me! No one is going to want to dig with me anymore! And, @Fossil-Hound, you forgot to mention the other 6 or 7 trilobites in there that I gave to you :P

@Fossildude19, I think I led you astray on your visit when you were asking about the goniatites. Over the past weekend I was introduced to another section of the site that I don't ever check for anything, and I think I found what you were looking for.

20170423_122819.thumb.jpg.e60afa9413cc2ce25d72bfeac0c2b697.jpg

Those appear to be pyritized Goniatites! I can send you some if you'd like since we struck out finding them while you were here. There's also tons of pyritized Ambocaelia. DM me if you'd like me to send you some!

• I found this Informative 2

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

1 minute ago, DevonianDigger said:

Lol, you guys are killing me! No one is going to want to dig with me anymore!

Bah! We more than made up for the single Jay'd event! As they say, to the victor go the spoils - or, perhaps, the victor goes through the spoils! For everyone else, you should know that Jay is fantastic to dig with. Knowledgeable and enthusiastic. PD made the right choice of bringing him on staff. First time visitors will never have a better guide than him. I also hear that he absolutely adores horn coral/velociraptor teeth ;)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Bah! We more than made up for the single Jay'd event! As they say, to the victor go the spoils - or, perhaps, the victor goes through the spoils! For everyone else, you should know that Jay is fantastic to dig with. Knowledgeable and enthusiastic. PD made the right choice of bringing him on staff. First time visitors will never have a better guide than him. I also hear that he absolutely adores horn coral/velociraptor teeth ;)

Lol, you're too kind.  I thought we settled on mosasaur teeth, lol!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

@Kane you mean Mososaur teeth. :D @DevonianDigger you are awesome! Thank you so much for letting us in to dig. That was the best Spring break vacation ever.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

6 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Lol, you're too kind.  I thought we settled on mosasaur teeth, lol!

Credit where it is due: the velo reference is from @Fossildude19

We could start a humorous alternative thread for coral. I have some that I could misidentify as petrified sea horse, ossified smurf hat, fossilized flan, and a whole new gastro species called complexus complicatus! :D

• I found this Informative 1

The multi-stage, very difficult-to-extrude coprolite is by far the most common up here. Devonian critters did not have the benefit of understanding the virtues of fibre in their diets :D

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

@Fossil-Hound, can't wait to do it again! BTW, looks like we're shooting for Purse SP for low tide on June 18th, meeting up around 6 am.

@DevonianDigger so that weekend I'll be at a family reunion in CA. Any chance we could do it the weekend before or after? Purse is really good I'm heading there this Saturday. I usually don't go out on Sundays (church) but will head out on Saturdays. Keep me posted!

@Fossil-Hound, oh no!! Unfortunately, I can't change the date because I'm going down to pick up my son from Virginia and his last day of school is that Friday. Maybe I can stop out again on the way back from dropping him off in August. At least you'll be in CA, maybe you can find somewhere there to look around!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

In all fairness, Jay didn't take my bellacartwrightia, but he wasn't there on that day:P

still stand by that Jay is the perfect guide for PD. He lives and breathes it.  Noone goes away with Jay without something remarkable :)

4 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

@Fossil-Hound, oh no!! Unfortunately, I can't change the date because I'm going down to pick up my son from Virginia and his last day of school is that Friday. Maybe I can stop out again on the way back from dropping him off in August. At least you'll be in CA, maybe you can find somewhere there to look around!

No worries man. Dave will show you some good spots.