Fossil-Hound

@Peat Burns I just found this article:

https://penndixie.org/2017/04/13/bellacartwrightia-a-singular-specimen/

It's about the discovery of Bellacartwrightia and these are extremely rare.  So rare that this nearly one inch complete prone:

MMT138A.jpg

Is going for an incredible $1500.

Contrast that with a one inch Greenops going for $200:

42830-1.jpg

Then contrast that with this Eldredgeops on Ebay going for $130:

s-l1600.jpg

You get the idea. Complete Eldredgeops that have no broken segments are still rare as oftentimes you'll find a good specimen with a missing pygidium or cephalon. You really have to put in the work to get out the good stuff, but it's worth it!

So back to Bellacartwrightia. The likelihood of finding one would be near to the recovery of 1000 (or more) pristine, prone E. rana and we all know how difficult that task would be. In fact I believe that this is the only Bellacartwrightia recovered from the site. I would imagine such a feat would be akin to Sisyphus in Greek mythology, who was condemned to pushing a boulder uphill and then watching it roll back down the hill for all eternity. Great Greek mythology story that correlates to the near impossible difficulty of this task. You get the idea. ;) @Fossildude19 found a very rare trilobite segment at PD last Friday. I forget the scientific name for it. @Fossildude19 when you get a moment please take a picture and re-ID your rare trilobite segment.

• I found this Informative 2

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

7 hours ago, jsnrice said:

@Peat Burns I just found this article:

https://penndixie.org/2017/04/13/bellacartwrightia-a-singular-specimen/

It's about the discovery of Bellacartwrightia and these are extremely rare.  So rare that this nearly one inch complete prone:

Is going for an incredible $1500.

Contrast that with a one inch Greenops going for $200:

Then contrast that with this Eldredgeops on Ebay going for $130:

You get the idea. Complete Eldredgeops that have no broken segments are still rare as oftentimes you'll find a good specimen with a missing pygidium or cephalon. You really have to put in the work to get out the good stuff, but it's worth it!

So back to Bellacartwrightia. The likelihood of finding one would be near to the recovery of 1000 (or more) pristine, prone E. rana and we all know how difficult that task would be. In fact I believe that this is the only Bellacartwrightia recovered from the site. I would imagine such a feat would be akin to Sisyphus in Greek mythology, who was condemned to pushing a boulder uphill and then watching it roll back down the hill for all eternity. Great Greek mythology story that correlates to the near impossible difficulty of this task. You get the idea. ;) @Fossildude19 found a very rare trilobite segment at PD last Friday. I forget the scientific name for it. @Fossildude19 when you get a moment please take a picture and re-ID your rare trilobite segment.

Interesting.  And I thought the work:success ratio for finding a Eurypterus at Ridgemont Quarry across the border was bad:  10 hours of hard labor for every Eurypterus (according to @Malcolmt).  What makes that site more grueling is that there aren't any other fossils to entertain you while you search for Eurypterus...  Unfortunately, that estimate is "on average" and I never got a complete one (but lucky @jgcox finds one just about every time he goes...).  I have enough parts to make a Frankenstein remipes, tho  (hey, they do it with dinosaurs all the time :) )

@Peat Burns I would absolutely love to find a complete Eurypterid. Those are so stinking hard to get too! I've heard that they have to reveal themselves and you can't really tease them out because the rock is generally so hard (sticky) and they are so fragile. @Malcolmt has certainly put in his time to get them and they are gorgeous. I would have to quit my job to find some good Eurypterids!

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

The last few years at Ridgemount the hours to find has skyrocketed. It is probably in the 20 to 30 hour range now. The area in which you are allowed to dig now is far to small and not the most productive. Hopefully they will move some of the gravel piles and let us get back to the more productive areas.

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

I think I have a better chance of a Eurypterid finding me than I do of finding one of them at this point, lol.

:rofl:

Nice to see you diggers in living color. Thanks to Deb for the pics. The results of your work speak for themselves so far. Let's wait and see what the final chapter brings. By the way, for those who haven't already noticed, my trilobites are Greenops widderensis from Hungry Hollow.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

13 hours ago, jsnrice said:

@Fossildude19 found a very rare trilobite segment at PD last Friday. I forget the scientific name for it. @Fossildude19 when you get a moment please take a picture and re-ID your rare trilobite segment.

Sorry - I can't photograph the specimen I found. 

I donated the fragment to Penn Dixie, and gave it to Devonian Digger (Jay) ;) 

The fragment of the ultra rare Trilobite is a bit of Dipleura dekayi.

Funny, while they are rare to find at PD, at other places in Central New York, they are fairly common. 

gallery_2806_718_112003.jpg

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 hours ago, ischua said:

IMG_1210.thumb.JPG.5dd1acb94871b4230235ba9f6cf87fd4.JPG

All those trilobites are amazing! And it seems like some incredible finds were made! And the cephalopod is cool too. 

But for me, it's this spirifer that stole my heart :wub: But that's probably because I'm a seashell lover :P

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Just got home and going through buckets. Plenty to still sort through, prep, etc. Just a pic of some rollers, semi-prone, and distorted E. rana. 

IMG_3094.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Bellacartwrightia? It has a fairly prominent spike. Can anyone confirm the ID?

IMG_3093.JPG

Fairly clean full one with pygidium tucked underneath, and perhaps some rollers to tease out.

IMG_3097.JPG

So as not to give off a trilobitocentric vibe, plenty of brachs, too.

IMG_3100.JPG

Crinoid calyx, horn coral with calcite crystals, and three playtceras.

IMG_3101.JPG

Deb found this little Spyroceras with nicely articulated chambers.

IMG_0221.jpg

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Black on brown

Kane, 

The brown ones are the ones that typically show the chromatophores. 

Some careful prep may expose that. :)

Quite the haul there, Fella. ;) 

Well done.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks like you got a great haul and had a great time. Wished I could have joined you but it was not to be. 

4 hours ago, Kane said:

So as not to give off a trilobitocentric vibe, plenty of brachs, too.

IMG_3100.JPG

:wub::wub::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

Very nice finds guys! Brother and I are heading up on thursday to PD. It will be our first time there.

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Crinoid calyx, horn coral with calcite crystals, and three playtceras.

IMG_3101.JPG

:faint::zen: