Fossil-Hound

27 minutes ago, Kane said:

I hear that. We were lucky to find about two at about 60-75% out of all that shale. Mostly pygidia and cephalons is what's on offer. And very flaky, a little like Arkona where it's several hundreds of bits to one full one. Prep on a likely confirmed full one is very much best left to a seasoned prep expert with a very steady hand. Just as bad, they tend to have pieces stuck on the impression side, and the pygidial spines flake off very easily. 

I can not belive that Asaraid found that complete Greenops that day. That's the same guy that found the Bellacartwrightia last year. Either he is super lucky or he really knows what to look for because we were digging right next to him. @Malcolmt I am almost positive the first Greenops I posted in part 1 is complete because that specimen was nearly perfect and will be gorgeous when fully prepped. He even decided to haul a 50 lb mud dome out because he didn't want to damage a prone Eldredgeops. @DevonianDigger and I helped him out of the pit and jokingly observed that he was now experiencing what life on Jupiter might be like (stronger gravity). Anyways the first Greenops I found you can see most of the parts and the trilobite is almost prone and is on its side popping out of the matrix. Hopefully that one preps out alright. This morning while packing up I discovered another specimen that appears like the one we are discussing. The pygidium is poking out of the matrix but I am not sure if there is a body. Hopefully one of these two pygidiums will yield a complete specimen. That would make my day.  :fingerscrossed:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

The pygidial spines do break of easily but not anywhere as bad as the arkona ones. Provided you are looking in the correct spots I think it easier to find greenops at Arkona than Penn but again the ratio of partial pygidiums to reasonably complete is obscene...

• I found this Informative 1