Florida member meet up

jcbshark

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

I don't know what to make of the edentulous jaw piece.  The exterior surface looks crocodilian, yet the jaw seems too deep for 'gator.  The alveolae don't seem right for crocodilian -- the space (diastema) between teeth seems too great.  The two sockets on the right appear to be from a smaller, two-rooted tooth in a diagonal position in the bone.  It reminds me of a Borophagus sp. jaw.

Send some images to Hulbert.  He may recognize it.

borophaguslitteralis.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Glad to see this is not an obvious chunk of jaw. I leaned toward gator based solely on the pitted surface texture of the flat surface which would seem to indicate gator. As you mentioned though the tooth sockets are confusing. The placement and size are not what I'd expect from gator jaw but I haven't seen a lot of this material and so I'm more than willing to be swayed. I'll drop a note to Dr. Hulbert to see if he has an opinion. Will let you all know when I find out anything more.

Cheers.

-Ken

Whoa.... :popcorn: 

PSMix_2017-04-18-15-40-56.png

FB_IMG_1492545601336.jpg

This is Brown Dog, Petey, Peach Pit Cheech. Always believed him to have originated from China but perhaps he's an OG^_^

2 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Not looking for the secret spot, but may I ask, was this well north of Brownville? North of Gardener?

I sent a PM..  North of both Brownville and Gardner.  Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 4/16/2017 at 7:33 PM, addicted2fossils said:

Check out that shark tooth stuck in the crack on the petrified log.

A vegetarian shark, that is a first!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, Search4 said:

Whoa.... :popcorn: 

FB_IMG_1492545601336.jpg

This is Brown Dog, Petey, Peach Pit Cheech. Always believed him to have originated from China but perhaps he's an OG^_^

Petey is pretty impressive.  He might be a suitable comparison to a borophagine dog.

What seest thou else

Dr. Hulbert provided a timely response and here is his assessment:

"I would agree that it is mammalian and likely carnivore.  Borophagus is unlikely in the Peace River because of its age although not impossible.  Without teeth not easy to ID; probably best to bring it to the collection some day to compare directly with jaws of different Pleistocene taxa."

So the crocodilian-like texture of the surface of the mandible does seem to be a bit of a red herring and it may yet prove to be something more interesting. You can bet I'll be dragging this up with me next time I plan a visit to Gainesville. Thought I'd pass along this information for the forum to ruminate over in the meantime.

Cheers.

-Ken

Digit, Fantastic response on the unknown Jaw.. I'll be very interested in learning the eventual ID.

I returned to the site of the TFF trip today and in addition to a large number of small shark teeth, I found the following fossils.  For all those who participated last Saturday,  there is lots of opportunity left!!!! :DHemipristisSerraUpper.thumb.jpg.5437cef6890d4febacd21ed8c2764310.jpgCMegalodon.thumb.jpg.5388271bdbb9c04975f8e22de46cdea8.jpgIMG_3299enh.thumb.jpg.251d8800439498c0f4bace9e124ea827.jpgIMG_3302scuteEnh.jpg.0977f70f2de93181fa872aa1dfd87360.jpgIMG_3300TapirPremolar.thumb.jpg.36e71aee297779dbae0eb1d924430b18.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds Jack, that's a sweet little meg:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:05 PM, digit said:

The last oddball mystery is this piece. At first it had the color and shading of a piece of phosphate matrix but it was too symmetrical and caught my eye in the sifting screen. The shape initially triggered the vertebrae pattern matching search image but it seems too flat and would be unlike any vert I'm aware of currently. I'm wondering if this might be some sort of skull element (possibly fish)? Any thoughts?

P4162308.jpg.dc076626d93afede5aeb9a4252193224.jpg    P4162309.jpg.62bba9af986a2558645cf64f426dcb9f.jpg

P4162310.jpg.08d152483f065c36087c162b4edc25a7.jpg    P4162311.jpg.36ce684cd7c3b0ce8b182d11fccc3ab6.jpg

This appears to be the fused parietals from a 'gator.

gator_skull_squamosal.JPG

gator_skull_basicranium.JPG

What seest thou else

Sweet finds, Jack! Shows the diversity of the Peace River. Sorry that you were otherwise occupied on the day of the big TFF meet-up, it was quite nice seeing everybody (and their finds).

Cheers.

-Ken

Hello all sorry for the long post for the trip. I have been busy. I must say this trip was one of the best by far. I found lots of interesting things. I also want to thank those of you that gave my kids the shark teeth there was a few of you. It went to a good cause when I got home that day from the trip the first thing my son said can we go fossil hunting tomorrow, he has been saying it like everyday now, he really loved the teeth.

5 hours ago, Sir.tommy.the.toad said:

Hello all sorry for the long post for the trip. I have been busy. I must say this trip was one of the best by far. I found lots of interesting things. I also want to thank those of you that gave my kids the shark teeth there was a few of you. It went to a good cause when I got home that day from the trip the first thing my son said can we go fossil hunting tomorrow, he has been saying it like everyday now, he really loved the teeth.

It was great getting to meet you all Jeremy, sorry I didn't  get to say bye. And you can't beat getting the kids fired up about fossils, gets them out of the house and active. They would be hard pressed to be in a better area for hunting as well:D

6 hours ago, Sir.tommy.the.toad said:

Nice! They're hooked now. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

It looks like the Fossil Forum trip was a success. Great weather,good finds, unusual finds and a good time by all. We're waiting for the next trip to happen so we'll be able to join you. Happy hunting !!

1 hour ago, beachbum said:

It looks like the Fossil Forum trip was a success. Great weather,good finds, unusual finds and a good time by all. We're waiting for the next trip to happen so we'll be able to join you. Happy hunting !!

Will keep you in the loop for the next one Jim:)

Archived