Gastropod? Fossilized? Please share your knowledge.

ple8DN

I came across this in the Puget Sound area (U.S. Pacific Northwest) along the water a few days ago.  Wondering if anyone can shed some light on the specifics of what it is, and which era and period it might be from. Is this considered fossilized? It's fairly clean, but wondering what is the best way to clean it (toothbrush and warm soapy water?)  Pardon my newbie knowledge on this-- just looking to learn.  Thanks!

IMG_9357 (1).jpg

IMG_9356 (1).jpg

IMG_9355 (1).jpg

It looks like it might be in the family Naticidae. Maybe Euspira / Neverita lewisii? Hopefully others more familiar with the area and its extant and fossil fauna will chime in with more info.

• I found this Informative 1

Hi:D!

I agree with naticidae gastropod.Sorry, but I can't help you further since I'm not really used to that spot.

Regards,

I agree with the others' ID.

Try a tooth brush and water to begin with, with soap if you want but the water doesn't need to be warm.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely a moon snail which we find commonly on beaches here in the NW, so it's probably modern. I don't know the Latin name.

• 1 year later...

Man this post is old but yes, this is a modern moon snail shell. I find them all the time worn down on the beaches in the Puget Sound. Me and my girlfriend collected some and painted art on their shells.