Ammonite preservation

dakotafossilhound

Part-timer here, always like to look at your beautifully preserved specimens!  I collected a number of concretions and recently have had some time to hone my prepping skills....Some of the ammonites I am working with have an awesome mother-of-pearl look to their shell which tends to fade, dry and flake over time. What will preserve them? Is there something that I can do to them before air abrasion to avoid fracturing them?

Here's a couple of pics.....my technique has been smash the concretion with a big hammer then look for specimens to work with, is there a better way?

ammo1.jpg

ammo2.jpg

ammo3.jpg

ammo4.jpg

ammo5.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

If you whack a concretion that has several specimens in it, you can always glue it back together and then scribe the matrix off. A coating of dilute PVA, Butvar, or Paraloid (1 part plastic to 50 parts acetone by volume) will preserve the iridescent layer.

• I found this Informative 3

You can also use synthetic floor wax that can be found in almost any groceri store.  Apply with small brush.

Here are a couple that I applied floor wax was to.  it also has some 'hold flakyness' together properties too.

RB

DSCN0802.JPG

DSCN0654.JPG

• I found this Informative 2