Sign in to follow this  
Trilobiting

Fossil Sites in Santa Barbara?

Trilobiting

I've heard there are whale bones and petrified wood found in beaches in Santa Barbara, are there any specific sites that yield these specimens?

caldigger

Most of your Beach sites are productive right after a big storm. Knowing that, most of those known areas are scoured by collectors for loose fossils at that time. A wise man once said "Ya gotta be quick!"  

I would imagine most of the beaches that have exposed cliff faces along the stretch from Santa Barbara to Gaviota have a good chance of producing.

Virgilian
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:27 AM, califossilhunter said:

Some SB beaches that have been known to have fossils are

Rincon Point,

That's really an old and famous locality. I've heard about it for ages. Hoping somebody here visits it and reports on its current status, and whether it still produces the fantastic variety and abundance of specimens it reportedly did. I traded for a few gastropods from the Upper Pliocene-Lower Pleistocene Santa Barbara Formation exposed there a number of years ago from somebody who'd obtained his own Rincon Point material through his own trade. The snails are extraordinarily well preserved. True, geologically speaking they're not that old, around 2.7 to 2.2 million years, if I recollect correctly, but wow they're still pretty spectacular.

Boesse

The Plio-Pleistocene Santa Barbara Formation is a potentially important locality to prospect in search of geologically recent marine mammals - especially from Pleistocene outcrops. Pleistocene marine mammals are as rare as hen's teeth.