Can someone tell me what kind of fossil is this??

Navajo

Welcome to the forum.  

Can you tell us anything about it:

-where it was found

-do you know the age of the material it was found in an

-what is its the size

Can you clean up the matrix (material) on the specimen.

If you want some proper identification, please provide some information on location found, preferably age of deposition and something in your photo to show scale (how big it is). It really helps!

Oops, Troodon beat me to it!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The problem here is that this look is common across a wide range of things in multiple kingdoms even.

It looks like the OP has provided some very general location info in the tags:  Neuquen Province, Argentina.

33 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

It looks like the OP has provided some very general location info in the tags:  Neuquen Province, Argentina.

Unfortunately the Neuquen Basin of Argentina is a near-continuous Late Triassic to Early Cenozoic deposit so we will need a closer target. 

Here is a photo from a travel site.  

Screenshot_20170417-150201.thumb.jpg.b3771d90c7b9e891f80e90d7d7061e76.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Size 5 cmt. It was found near te Rio in North Neuquen, pre Cordillera de los Andes. 2500 meters altitude, in an old dry stream where i found some shells

i am new to this which is the best method for cleaning?

Edited by Navajo

We are trying to determine the age to help you with identication but we are not familiar with the region and I do not understand the locality you provided .  We don't know if we are looking at a dinosaur age fossil or one that is more recent.  Can you mark on the attached map about were it was found.  Can you also take a picture identical of the top one but the opposite side.

Cleaning depends on how hard the material is.   If it's very soft and soft tooth brush may work.  If it's harder a tool like a dental pick or Xacto knife may work.  Soften with acetone.

Neuquen_Province_Map_Argentina.thumb.jpg.18d6c1d30af68453a0ba8b7a07341f99.jpg

If you'll post some pictures, take also two shots straight from the ends, just to rule out (or not) other possibilities like coral or bryozoan.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library