Vertebrae?

Micah

My brother found this in a creek and the porous texture and divot on one end would seem to point towards a vertebrae of some kind, but I've never found anything like it before. Anyone know what it is/how I could tell for sure if it is a vertebra, or just some kind of coral or cephalopod...

IMG_4374.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

IMG_4377.JPG

Hi, it's nor a coral nor a cephalopod. Could you tell us in what creek you found it ? Nebraska is a little too wide.;)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

It's a little tributary of the Long Branch in SE Nebraska, it's a mix of glacial gravel and limestone from various periods.

16 hours ago, ynot said:

Not seeing bone either, mabe a burrow cast.

I thought that at first, but the texture is more that of bone than the world insides of a burrow.

1 hour ago, Micah said:

I thought that at first, but the texture is more that of bone than the world insides of a burrow.

I do not see any bone "texture" in this piece.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Burrows tend to be filled with more mobile and soluble sediment. The small void quite likely is a fragmentary fossil of something that was engulfed by the process. The fact that they are a cavity also helps keep them from being compacted to the same degree as their surroundings. I think the combination is what gives them this porous look. It is a little too disorganized for bone. 

Archived