North Sulphur River 4/7/17 - 4/9/17

Jakuzi

Hi y'all,

Finally got around to cleaning up my finds.  On Friday I managed to work in a half day of hunting with @David E. .   After the big surge we had high hopes.  We found a few Mos verts and I managed to crack a few ammonites out of the red zone.  On Sunday I took out @Buffalo Bill Cody to an area in which we hoped to find some points.  If you want points go out with me because I'll be sure to over look them and leave some beauty's for you.  Though I did find a nice chunk of one.  The search continues for a perfect point.  Notice all the enchodus jaw bones on the right side.

IMG_5256.JPG

One of the largest shark teeth I've found on NSR along with a mos tooth and my point of a point.  One day I'll find these guys in a more complete state...

IMG_5201.JPG

"If you want points go out with me because I'll be sure to over look them and leave some beauty's for you."   LOL.....those are some nice finds and that point has some nice color in it!  If you can't get out there before this weekend, lets get out there and find that perfect point.  Water level hit almost 7 ft. last night so there should be some goodies out in the open now.

7 hours ago, David E. said:

"If you want points go out with me because I'll be sure to over look them and leave some beauty's for you."   LOL.....those are some nice finds and that point has some nice color in it!  If you can't get out there before this weekend, lets get out there and find that perfect point.  Water level hit almost 7 ft. last night so there should be some goodies out in the open now.

I'm trying to make it out on Thursday.   I'm also going to try to squeeze another hunt in sometime this weekend.  I know that perf point is out there waiting for me.   Hopefully the rain washed it out.

1 hour ago, believerjoe said:

I do not see a mosey tooth.  Thinking xiphactinus.

Here are a few more pics of it.  Looking online I do see some pics that resemble this tooth that are said to have come from xiphatinus but then I also see many that also resemble enchodus.   Included is a pic with said tooth in the middle with other enchodus/xiphatinus teeth I've found out there.  It definitely to my untrained eye resembles what I've come to think of as a mosasaur tooth. 

IMG_5258.JPG

IMG_5260.JPG

The one black tooth may be plesiosaur???

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

8 hours ago, fossiladdict said:

The one black tooth may be plesiosaur???

Don't play with my emotions man.   Most of the examples that I've seen of plesiosaur teeth have been rounded with no sharp edges along the length of the tooth.  Mine has sharp edges on both sides.

If it has cutting edges then it could be mosasaur.  Could not see that in the pics.  There are species with the narrow teeth.  Maybe a closeup or 2 for a better look.  Xiphactinus are smooth.  I have never held a plesiosaur tooth, so can't make that call, but they are around and not out of the question based on the shape.  

On 4/20/2017 at 7:05 AM, believerjoe said:

If it has cutting edges then it could be mosasaur.  Could not see that in the pics.  There are species with the narrow teeth.  Maybe a closeup or 2 for a better look.  Xiphactinus are smooth.  I have never held a plesiosaur tooth, so can't make that call, but they are around and not out of the question based on the shape.  

On 4/22/2017 at 9:29 AM, JarrodB said:

Nice finds. I think the tooth is Xiphactinus. 

Close up of cutting edge of tooth.

IMG_5293.PNG

IMG_5294.PNG

On 4/17/2017 at 11:12 PM, Jakuzi said:

Any ideas aside from a chisel on how to prep these guys?

IMG_5257.JPG

IMG_5182.JPG

Dental pic & soft brush. I bought a pack of 5 dental style pics at Harbor Freight for $7.

• I found this Informative 2

Now that I see the tooth up close, yes, x-fish.

• I found this Informative 1

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

On 5/1/2017 at 9:29 PM, fossiladdict said:

Now that I see the tooth up close, yes, x-fish.

Looks like it's an xfish then.   I have another larger tooth that I was certain was a Mos tooth that I'm now questioning.   I may post it up in Fossil IS.

• 7 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, JarrodB said:

Dental pic & soft brush. I bought a pack of 5 dental style pics at Harbor Freight for $7.

What are these?

7 hours ago, Brazos Aaron said:

What are these?

It's basically sharp angled pic tools like the dentist cleans your teeth with. You can use them to scrape material off without damaging the fossils. 

• I found this Informative 1

Hi Jake, hope all is well with you. Looks like you had a great trip. I believe the one tooth in question is Xiphactinus also.

So any plans to come back to NC to hunt again. Need to get them arms worked out.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 7:06 AM, sixgill pete said:

Hi Jake, hope all is well with you. Looks like you had a great trip. I believe the one tooth in question is Xiphactinus also.

So any plans to come back to NC to hunt again. Need to get them arms worked out.

Don!  How you doing man? I actually did manage to squeeze in about a half day after a work meeting at GSR.  I didn’t have your #(just checked PM’s got it now if current) but I did manage to get ahold of Ash and he put me on some good stuff(pictured below) I will definitely hit you next time.

638E50CA-ECF3-41C9-BA27-245FCC2B229F.jpeg

CDF1E779-8668-4BAE-AACA-35BBD5693AC8.jpeg