Laws abiding Fossil Collection.

Mr. Sudarshan Gupta

Dear all,

Is anybody aware of the legal prospects regarding Fossil hunting and Collection in India. Please let me know if there is any provision of registration of such collections such that I can legally have possession of Fossils and related stuff.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Your best bet is to contact your local government authorities. 

Relying on legal information posted on the internet is probably not the best idea, considering the source. :unsure: 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Not sure just how many members on here are in/ from India, so you are probably in a better position of researching those regulations than we are. As Tim stated, your best bet is to inquire with your local agencies regarding what you can and can not do.

When you do find out, can you post on here to keep us better informed as well.  Good luck on your quest.

Laws tend to be by jurisdiction.  Here in the USA for example you can collect all you want on private property. Local (city or county) parks may or may not allow collecting. State and National parks almost never allow collecting. Other types of national land have their own rules.  As someone else said you need to contact the authorities there.

14 hours ago, erose said:

Laws tend to be by jurisdiction.  Here in the USA for example you can collect all you want on private property. Local (city or county) parks may or may not allow collecting. State and National parks almost never allow collecting. Other types of national land have their own rules.  As someone else said you need to contact the authorities there.

Important clarification... You can collect on private land in the USA... As long as you the land owner's permission.  Otherwise you are stealing and likely trespassing.

On 4/23/2017 at 1:25 AM, jpc said:

Important clarification... You can collect on private land in the USA... As long as you the land owner's permission.  Otherwise you are stealing and likely trespassing.

Thanks! That is exactly what I meant but it sure didn't read that way. Good catch.

Archived