Mazon ID

Allenz

Hi again all have question ,same rock as I think it's a fish post.

think it might be plant , but not sure,what do you think?

will blow up next picture.IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.63288cc0d804f6b81457db796ef40cb0.JPG

I think the old saying "everything that shimmers isn't gold" may apply here. This can be said about Mazon. Every rock from Mazon does not contain a fossil. I think it would be best for you to google or search this forum for Mazon Creek fossils. Educating yourself is priceless when fossiling. 

In this piece i see possibly very poorly preserved flora material. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.bcfb0048cacb1a43b58c32ec5730aab8.JPGSo if you care or don't what I see is not plant 

I see a blob of unknown origin extending from top center

which looks like it has a little fish and to left looks like 

a crustacean is trying to get fish but will see.

2 hours ago, Allenz said:

IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.bcfb0048cacb1a43b58c32ec5730aab8.JPGSo if you care or don't what I see is not plant 

2 hours ago, Allenz said:

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

I wasn't trying to be rude in any way. And I'm sorry if you read it as such. But educating yourself a bit more on where you hunt is priceless for a fossil hunter. And i don't think any of the experts would dispute that. Even knowing HOW these fossils formed helps a lot. I've been hunting Mazon for only four years and I'm still learning.

Most, if not all fish fossils from Mazon are compressed. They don't preserve in a three dimensional form like you would see from the Santana Formation in Brazil. A little education and knowledge like that will help you become a great fossil hunter. Because we're all just not finding, we're learning too. And TFF is a wonderful resource, but books, papers and a simple search on google helps too. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

No worries, I have thick skin Just to give you my back ground been going and lived there for 40 years been to every strip pit in area was going before they built nuke plants hunted and fished pretty much all the pits in area from coal city to Essex your probably not going to find a person that has covered ground like I have .Plus all the clubs public can't get in to .Belive me Have 100s of fossils plus other rocks I find that are not typical for the area.Good to have close friends 

One more thing the information on this and from you guys is unbelievable 

learned so much and want to thank you.

In life in general what I have learned is Information is great,I'm in construction trade 

I get apprentices all the time,they are book trained but they learn more on job then they do from the books if that makes any sense.Because everything changes,

like in Mazon creek every time it rains erosion exposes something new and different,

In all areas.So someone who is there has family and friends there almost every week

Might be Abel to find something different.

Archived