An ENTIRE Petrified forest!

FossilDudeCO

Ok, I got a little side-tracked this weekend with the March for Science in Denver, but I have boxes packed and ready to go!

@Jesuslover340 - You get LARGE pieces the idea being your rock shop friend has a saw and you can make some slabs and cabs

@ynot - You get a box of medium sized pieces that I am hoping will work to slab and cab, if not, polishing the ends will work for sure.

@Sacha You get some pieces that are more geared towards polishing up a side or 2 that can sit in a cabinet

@digit - You get some REALLY weird pieces! Smash 'em, break 'em, whatever you have to do to get them to fit in that tumbler! You get a few very colourful pieces!

I can't wait to see if any of these work out!

The 4 of you have about 50% of what I collected and really all of the decent stuff!

I set aside 3-5 pieces that had some nice coulours I enjoyed, but that is it! The primo stuff is headed out!

Hey Hi Blake,

Package was in the post box today. Will take a few before I can get to cutting and polishing.

Thanks, will keep You updated on My progress.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Blake, have you sent my box out yet? I've been anxiously awaiting it, but have not seen it yet!

It looks like john's box is the only one that got lost :(

I hate USPS, but those flat rate boxes are so wonderful!

John, I will mail you another.

Hopefully, it will turn up. Flat rate shipments come with tracking numbers so if you kept the receipt you should be able to figure out where it got hung up.

I decided to take my last load of silicified fossil coral from the Withlacoochee out of the tumbler. It still had a few more weeks of shaping to go and then several rounds of successively finer polishing steps but I figured that could wait its turn till later. I've fragmented some of the larger chunks into pieces that would fit better into the tumbler and started up the first churn of a couple weeks with the coarse grit. I'll take photos along the way so can share this petrified forest's transformation into something smooth and polished.

Cheers.

-Ken

All the boxes have arrived! From what I hear a bit beat up, but there and full of goodies!

Can't wait to see what everyone does :) 

I have about an hour this morning to work on some of your stuff. The first piece had a lot of problems with voids and cracking, but this piece (the largest you sent) is nice and solid and has great color and grain structure. I'm going to slab 1/2 of it and leave an end piece to polish for display. When I'm cutting cabs again, I'll make a couple free forms and we can talk about what your wife would like.

DSCF1386.thumb.jpg.cd464da19e836c235864b849759ac3f7.jpg

Glad you have a couple pieces that will cut!

I am slightly surprised that some pieces have hollow spots.

I have seen very few like that, but then again, I broke a few into smaller pieces, I didn't cut them all nice and neat!

It will be a little while before you see much progress from the pet wood you sent to me. I've unloaded my last load of silicified fossil coral from the Withlacoochee (it can wait for another few weeks of shaping and then polishing). I've loaded my tumbler with some ragged chunks of the shipment that Blake sent to me. I'll post photos of its progress (slow though that may be) as it progresses from roughs to (hopefully) some nice polished pieces. Here it is at the start of its transformation.

Cheers.

-Ken

P4292334.JPG.0d8207704ddb0e87980335a9edaf0f8d.JPG    P4292335.JPG.76a60b7e561dbebf8a68d17f58d8b95e.JPG

You'll see more photos from me next Saturday right before I leave for the Turks & Caicos for a week. I'll take some photos when I load the tumbler with fresh grit after two weeks of tumbling and rumbling in my garage.  Till then it will just be :popcorn: from my side.

Cheers.

-Ken

On 5/4/2017 at 9:53 AM, FossilDudeCO said:

Glad you have a couple pieces that will cut!

I am slightly surprised that some pieces have hollow spots.

I have seen very few like that, but then again, I broke a few into smaller pieces, I didn't cut them all nice and neat!

!st four pieces have just started on the flat lap with 220 grit. This part takes 3 or 4 days so I'll finish cutting the rest this weekend.

DSCF1392.thumb.jpg.656302eb7d26affd7786a026e3f1a666.jpg

I've got quite a stack of this exact Parker stuff at home myself. I never thought about slicing and polishing it ... hmmm :)

@FossilDudeCO send me some and I'll send you some Chesapectin nefrens and Chesapecten jeffersonious (large scallops) from the bay (15 MYO Choptank Formation). We can work out S&H over personal IM. I really like the pieces with multiple colors (red and orange).

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

First 4 pieces are done. 3 pieces are giving me a little trouble, so they will be another few days.

DSCF1409.thumb.jpg.e6ad0b5f40c6a279c34b1fcaa9d5f5bc.jpg

You did an awesome job, those are beautiful. Especially like the one in the middle. Colors are sweet.

56 minutes ago, aerogrower said:

You did an awesome job, those are beautiful. Especially like the one in the middle. Colors are sweet.

Thanks. Blake has some good material here, although it varies in quality quite a bit from piece to piece. I do love the pieces with more red in them, but there were only a couple and the one shown has some fractures in it. Still a nice shelf display piece and I may be able to get a cab or 2 from the slabs I cut from it.

Pet wood of that large size looks way more fabulous when turned to spherical applications.  But do tumble the smaller pieces; it's fun.

Wow those look great John!

Yes, the red material is much harder to come by. Most of it is orange tints.

I also assume because of the way it fractures it would have lots of cracks in the rock so I am glad it is working to some extent!

Archived