Troodon

Stratigraphy of the Late Cretaceous North America

12 posts in this topic

Very interesting!  Thanks so much for sharing!  

I knew there would be nothing for the West Coast, though it is part of 'Western North America'.....

Looks like a pretty good resource anyway.

hires

Thanks for taking the effort to post this. I took some screen shots.  Good to have some current info.

Just a note.  These are based on info available to build stratigraphic models.  It needs to be remembered that not all areas are studied to the same extent.  For example the 'Wapiti' in Alberta is a bit if a holding tank as it has a lot of variability.  Also definitions of  'groups, formations, members' get a bit murky and are often based on precedence in the literature.  

Cool.

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

I knew there would be nothing for the West Coast, though it is part of 'Western North America'.....

These are non marine terrestrial formations. There's lots of Cretaceous stratigraphy in western N. America but its mostly marine.

On a quirkier note, when we are talking geology at the GSC we dont consider the west coast as North America. Of couse it is geographically  but geologically its 'another beast'.

6 hours ago, Canadawest said:

These are non marine terrestrial formations. There's lots of Cretaceous stratigraphy in western N. America but its mostly marine.

On a quirkier note, when we are talking geology at the GSC we dont consider the west coast as North America. Of couse it is geographically  but geologically its 'another beast'.

I knew you would state the 2nd line, but about the first line, I'm confused: Which are non-marine?

12 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

It covers Alaska and NW alberta

Are there late cretaceous terrestrial deposits in the the west coast that were omitted from this study?

Thanks for sharing this Frank!

8 hours ago, Troodon said:

It covers Alaska and NW alberta

Are there late cretaceous terrestrial deposits in the the west coast that were omitted from this study?

No, it was me that was omitting to read the very first line of the post which said "Placement of terrestrial formations..." :blush:

...although there are terrestrial components to our Nanaimo Group, with plant and other terrestrial material here and there. It would be interesting to see how they correlate with the Interior Seaway formations.

1 person finds this informative