First six-incher

mrieder79

So I was cruising the bottom, checking boulders and my right hand hit something hard. It felt like a big bone chunk. Then my left hand swung around and felt the other side. Symmetrical. That's when I started getting interested. Then I felt the enamel. It just kept going and going down into the mud. At this point, I'm reciting the fossil hunter's littany, "Please be whole, please be whole, please be whole!"

It was! 

6 3/16" my first six-incher.

IMG_1037.JPG

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Fantastic Find and BEAUTIFUL in addition to size.. My son has a place just south of St Augustine and I once scuba dived across 10 years BUT that was decades ago and even a 6 plus incher can not tempt me out again.. but I can piggyback on your magic  !!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Wow, congratulations!! Beauty, and those bulbous "cusps" are quite interesting.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Sorry - I have an overwhelming urge to see it in different positions. :)
Awesome find!

IMG_1037.JPG.5c7fc2d65dd94a2ad837ce0aa774efd0.JPG  IMG_1037-2.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What a monster! Congrats, I have yet to find one that size myself:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

If I was going to become a shark tooth collector, thats the tooth i would want to start with!!!

RB

What a whooper! Just imagine the shark that had that tooth!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Would this tooth be considered evolution caught in the act? With those pretty large side cusps, wouldn't this be directly in-between a Chub and a Meg? 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

When megs get really big, the teeth start crowding each other. As a result, the enamel near the root ripples. When viewed head-on, these ripples look like cusps, but they aren't. It's just wavy enamel.  

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Archived