Possible whale tooth

pitypang

We just got this supposed whale tooth from a seller; I was wondering what sort of whale it may be from, and/or how old it may be? (also, if it is real). It is quite heavy, shiny and black. 

whaletooth.jpg

I would like to see a little more of the two ends, but it seems like the right size and pattern for a Kogiopsis .sp which is what mine is....

IMG_2913Whaleroot.jpg

IMG_2917Measurement.jpg

gallery_2201_570_271010.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

It's got a closed root and enamel, so the odds of it being a sperm whale are low. not sure this is identifiable.

The color, size and preservation reminds me of my Kogiopsis from Florida. Is the seller unable to provide any data at all?

P1090324.thumb.jpg.936cae0babf0560ea6b058f1b241a0a6.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The seller only said that it is a whale tooth; in the meantime, my son dropped it and it broke to pieces. Now the inside can be seen, too. 

Here it is; I have to say we were are quite surprised that it broke so easily, and shattered to so many pieces, like it it made of porcelain. But the inside is a paler brown, and there is a conical end now, similar to what I have seen above, on Shellseeker's picture. 

20170422_101142_resized.jpg

20170422_101228_resized.jpg

20170422_101248_resized.jpg

20170422_101252_resized.jpg

20170422_101302_resized.jpg

20170422_101305_resized.jpg

Something fossilized does not mean "solid."  It depends on the amount of mineral replacement and what minerals.  A lot of fossils are like porcelain and can be more delicate than they were originally.  Dropping it on a hard floor and whether it hits on its side or on end can make a difference too.  

It looks like you can glue that back together as long as you didn't lose too many contacts.

Archived