JerseyGirl

Hello JerseyGirl,

Your first pic is probably coral that has washed down quite a distance from the North. Pic 2 is a chimaera (ratfish) plate. The last pic is a broken rostral spine from the sawfish Ischyrhiza mira. Nice finds.

john

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

I agree with John. The first piece looks like weathered rugose (horn) coral- probably Devonian or Silurian brought down by a glacier during the Ice Age..

4. Tooth fragment? Crustacean segment? Both edges are serrated; a cross section would be a demilune shape.

IMG_9977.JPG

both are part of the claw of Protocallianassa sp. or ghost shrimp. Here's a picture of an articulated claw from Big Brook to compare to. Very common in the NJ streams.

john

both_claws_web.JPG.9b77a5f6f9c99de1b053cf2a650a6947.JPG

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

Perfect picture-- I see both parts. Thanks. A few more coming before I put my finds away...

Nice shrimp pieces there. Because of stream wear those serrations have typically worn off. Nice to see one with the serration still present. Congrats.

6. Just a funky rock? The textured side is the convex side (overall shape is a curved plate). I can't see any suggestive texture to the edge so I'm guessing this is just a curiosity?

IMG_9969.JPG

IMG_9971.JPG

Looks like sludge. Seems a little too thick to be a scute of any type. Well, at least it is good to always pick up something even if you do not know what it is, might be a fossil.

: )

If you want to have your labels up-to-date, Protocallianassa mortoni is now named Mesostylus mortoni.

I agree with Plax that your last specimen may be a worn albulid mouthpart.

Don

Thanks Don, I was not aware of that change .

john

Archived