Another shell

Michelle Sawicki Library

I am starting to get a rather large collection of fossils already! Are these type of fossils common? I have been skipping over the crinoids now because I already have so many and I am guessing they are a dime a dozen. Are these little shell fossils common too?

Brachiopods in general can be quite common in many fossilized marine environments. That being said, on a more specific level, some brachiopods are a bit more uncommon than others pending species. It sometimes comes down to how you collect. For some people, they seek to keep just one type of each species, replacing it only if a better preserved specimen is found. For other people, they amass several of the same type for practicing preparation or gifting to others. Common or not, if it brings you enjoyment, that's what really matters in the end. :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I'm afraid I can't help with the identification beyond "brachiopod."  However, I believe the specimen in your photo must be common because I have several that are similar to it, and I'm relatively new to collecting.  My goal is to have a couple of nice examples of each species, and so I keep bringing new ones home if they are good quality.  I have found that really complete specimens in good condition are hard to find. 

One thing I have done lately is focus on tiny fossils.  Several sites I collect at have spots where small fossils weather out and wash down into a mix of mud, small fossils, and fossil fragments.  I dig up a quart or so of this mess and bring it home to wash through a sieve.  The results are quite interesting. :)

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say Strophomenida, beyond that I'd recommend getting online and comparing. 

Archived