North Sulfur River Texas - need help ID'ing

JamieLynn

Hello all! Made my second visit to the North Sulfur River near Dallas TX and since I am not very familiar with that areas fossils, I have some things that I can't quite ID. I THINK some of them are specific things, but I'm not positive so would appreciate your feedback!  I really wanted to find some mosasaur teeth but I don't think I did, with the exception of possibly number 17 which has an interesting "core" of white with the black around it. I know it kind of looks like a baculite, but I do know what baculites look like with their neat little "lego" style sutures, and this one has no suture lines or "locking" attachments. I hope hope hope it is a tooth! But if not, ah well.  A really nice man named Bob gave me number 11 and said it was a mosasaur jaw fragment and I hope this is correct because then I will at least have a BIT of a mosie! I am also hoping that perhaps 8. is a turtle shell fragment? And I think that 18. is either a coprolite or a squashed gastropod. I can't tell. Oh, and another nice man named Mr. Cole said that 3. was coprolite. Is that accurate? (I met some really nice people at Ladonia) Let me know if you would like to see more specific photos of any numbered item. Thank you!!  Oh, and I figured I might as well post the pic of things I do know what they are... :) Ammonites and Baculites and Oysters oh my (and gastros) 

Sulfur river unknown.jpg

sulfur river unknown 2.jpg

SAM_1803.JPG

Very nice and diverse finds! :)  I'll let the others say what they are, but No.10 caught my eyes. It looks like a rudist.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

#10 & 19 Durania austinensis rudists. Cross section should look like a grid pattern similar to wood. See: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/67344-escondido-cylinder/#comment-707563

#12-14 bones

#18 gastropod

#16-17 phosphatic nodules #17 is Baculites sp.

Bottom photo:

3 upper right oysters are Exogyra sp.

2 coiled Gyrodes to left of quarter

lower left 2 phosphatic Baculites sp.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

8 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

#10 & 19 Durania austinensis rudists. Cross section should look like a grid pattern similar to wood. See: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/67344-escondido-cylinder/#comment-707563

I agree on 19 being Durania, but I do think 10 is Sauvagesia based on a couple of examples in my collection.