Echinoids sites near Waco or Austin Texas

danzimmerman

Hello,

I am traveling to the Waco and Austin Texas areas and was wondering if there are any easy to get to sites for echinoids and ammonites?

Thanks,

Dan

Lake Waco Research Area.  Property is owned by the Corps of Engineers. Have to have a permit but it's free.  I'm heading out there tomorrow.

You guys beat me to the areas! Both are great areas and really make sure your get a permit on the corps property. We did and we found some great pieces!!! Enjoy

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I will be in Austin in December and would like to ask if we need permission to hunt at "Texas 360 just North of 2244.  Also on 360 near Pascal Lane."?

Thanks,

Han

If your that close try Pace Bend. It’s a county park and you can find some Gastropoda and clams in the area. 

I have another question.  I found this website.  It said these coral reef fossil is near Austin Texas but didn''t tell the location.  I thought since these area is large, I can search on google but google show no reef fossil near Austin.  Are these actually in Austin and would you be able to show me where they are?  I want to take my son there.  Thanks.

http://findingfossils.blogspot.com/2015/05/austin-reefs.html

Not Austin. But probably just an hour or two west into the Hill Country. Pretty sure the coral and the rudist reefs are on private property. You would have to ask Professor Martindale about access. 

The Narrows near Blanco has Glen Rose corals, but is private.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

16 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

The Narrows near Blanco has Glen Rose corals, but is private.

Don't even imagine getting there. It has been closed off for several years and the owners are apparently quite strict about it. When I was the weekend manager of Westcave Preserve we constantly had to deal with trespassers and heard all the stories from other public and private sites about their problems as well.

I think there are some easier to access locations. One that I have yet to visit is on Pipe Creek. That is further west near Bandera, Texas. Google it and I think you can find a description. May even be the rudist site in the example you linked.

7 minutes ago, erose said:

Don't even imagine getting there. It has been closed off for several years and the owners are apparently quite strict about it. When I was the weekend manager of Westcave Preserve we constantly had to deal with trespassers and heard all the stories from other public and private sites about their problems as well.

I think there are some easier to access locations. One that I have yet to visit is on Pipe Creek. That is further west near Bandera, Texas. Google it and I think you can find a description. May even be the rudist site in the example you linked.

Agreed.  I found The Narrows mentioned in a 1950s fossil reference and took a drive out that way years ago.  Looked pretty hostile toward interlopers.  Par for the course when scouting for new-to-me venues.  That's why it's generally best to choose a course after doing enough research to have multiple prospects to scout along the way.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."