Cenozoic - Quaternary Rocks WV

opabinia

After some research on the geological structure of my home state - West Virginia, It has come to my attention that what I once thought to be a land barren of fossils is actually very large plethora of different age rocks being oldest - extreme east, and newest rocks - to the west. But something odd turned up on some of the maps and papers in my scavenging through records of professors in paleontology or geological surveys: Quaternary rocks are riddled all throughout the state, almost as if a large region was once covered but now is reduced and weathered away into small outcrops in random places. I have known for a long time that the state fossil, Megalonyx Jeffersoni, is from the obvious newer rocks. However, the discovery of this skeleton was not dug up but rather found in a sealed cave away from the forces of nature. If I were to visit an area where these rocks are present, could I expect any turn-ups or just expect to find rocks that are of the age but contain absolutely nothing. Cenozoic fauna are definitely not my specialty (far from it, Cambrian) but I'd be willing to check it out after some research by me and input from others.

PS, I certainly do not expect to go to an area like this and find fossil of a mammoth or saber-toothed tiger or any such animal (<-- I believe these aren't native to the area), but even the impression of anything could lead me on a journey that, again, I'd be willing to take.

Here's the photo that is the reason I am typing this right now-

Geologic_Map_of_West_Virginia.jpg

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

"If It Can be Written or Thought, It can be Filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Cambrian and Quaternary

That's quite interesting. I would say you would have nothing to lose but time in going on a bit of an exploration. If you could track down some of those outcrops, I'm hoping you would be pleasantly surprised in finding something great - even if isn't the usual megafauna. Could there be a trip in your future? :hammer01:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Old information, but it does mention the caves where Pleistocene mammal remains were found. (Monroe County?) 

Nothing other than that listed here, however. :( 

That said, ... nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;) 

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

38 minutes ago, Kane said:

That's quite interesting. I would say you would have nothing to lose but time in going on a bit of an exploration. If you could track down some of those outcrops, I'm hoping you would be pleasantly surprised in finding something great - even if isn't the usual megafauna. Could there be a trip in your future? :hammer01:

West Virginia is by far not the most fossil-ferrous state in the country (United States), most of what I have found here is all Permian near me but there are 'tales' if you will of  Extreme Late Cambrian through Mississippian/Pennsylvanian Transitional rocks and fossils in eastern regions. The surprising fact that Quaternary rocks are found near where I call home just gives me that little spark of imagination of, 'What could be there,' and, 'I could find something that'd make a difference.'

So yeah, Thanks Kane, I plan on making a trip this summer with my father to hunt - We were thinking possibly a strictly Cambrian - Devonian expedition, but with this new find, I will most likely add it to the list! :D

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

E.T. Hall - opabinia

Cambrian and Quaternary

1 hour ago, opabinia said:

West Virginia is by far not the most fossil-ferrous state in the country (United States), most of what I have found here is all Permian near me but there are 'tales' if you will of  Extreme Late Cambrian through Mississippian/Pennsylvanian Transitional rocks and fossils in eastern regions. The surprising fact that Quaternary rocks are found near where I call home just gives me that little spark of imagination of, 'What could be there,' and, 'I could find something that'd make a difference.'

So yeah, Thanks Kane, I plan on making a trip this summer with my father to hunt - We were thinking possibly a strictly Cambrian - Devonian expedition, but with this new find, I will most likely add it to the list! :D

The Quaternary deposits listed in these geologic maps are more often then not Holocene aged river sediments which don't contain any fossils. Talus cover and organic debris buildup is also listed as Quaternary. 

Now, there are some Pleistocene "deposits" in WV and MD, however the vast majority are thin buildups of unconsolidated sediment that are usually too lose and too thin to contain any fossils in them. Sometimes bones and teeth of typical mega fauna are found in caves, but most of the known ones are either closed off to the public by a governmental or university based group or are on private land. 

If you want to find Pleistocene fossils I'm afraid that the Columbia Group on the Eastern Shore is your only option :(.

On 4/21/2017 at 2:41 PM, EMP said:

The Quaternary deposits listed in these geologic maps are more often then not Holocene aged river sediments which don't contain any fossils. Talus cover and organic debris buildup is also listed as Quaternary. 

Now, there are some Pleistocene "deposits" in WV and MD, however the vast majority are thin buildups of unconsolidated sediment that are usually too lose and too thin to contain any fossils in them. Sometimes bones and teeth of typical mega fauna are found in caves, but most of the known ones are either closed off to the public by a governmental or university based group or are on private land. 

If you want to find Pleistocene fossils I'm afraid that the Columbia Group on the Eastern Shore is your only option :(.

Even though this is pretty disappointing, it's informative as well! Thanks for saving me a trip EMP. 

E.T. Hall - opabinia

Cambrian and Quaternary

3 hours ago, opabinia said:

Even though this is pretty disappointing, it's informative as well! Thanks for saving me a trip EMP. 

I've been disappointed many a time trying to find exposures as well. For instance, I spent several days trying to find an outcropping of Martinsburg Shale because I had heard that trilobite fossils were very common in it. Finally I came across one exposure that was along a busy road and when I went there, after getting lost on the way, I found the outcrop devoid of fossils.

My trips into the lower Cretaceous rocks for dinosaur fossils have also been unfruitful. I've read lots of literature about where people have found tons of great finds (to me at least) but was saddened to find out that almost every single one of the old localities had been built into homes and shopping centers.

That's just how it is in the Mid-Atlantic and other areas that are getting built up a lot. It's also why the Cambrian exposures are getting to be pretty rare, which is a shame since they truly had world class fossils in some of them.

am reminded of the Martinsburg at a place in central PA (near hairy John State forest) where only the tiniest muddy lense had trilobites in a huge cliff face. We never found the source in the cliff but Cryptolithus and Triarthrus were in it. Way too much driving for too few fossils.

7 hours ago, Plax said:

am reminded of the Martinsburg at a place in central PA (near hairy John State forest) where only the tiniest muddy lense had trilobites in a huge cliff face. We never found the source in the cliff but Cryptolithus and Triarthrus were in it. Way too much driving for too few fossils.

Last I heard Swatara is pretty much a dead place. Only a few Mahantango stuff, definitely not worth a four or five hour drive.

Seems to me that every time a site gets well known for something everyone flocks to it and it ends up getting picked clean. The same happened to me at Locust Lane in PA when I went looking for Olenellus trilobites. After three hours of searching the entire cut I only came away with a couple of broken cephalons and a sponge.

I want to say that Hairy John State Forest is probably 2 hours further west in PA from Swatara. Greedy collectors ruined Swatara Gap. The Mahantango was in the State park not the road cut.

A big interchange between the Turnpike and 81? near Carlisle PA had rocks in the road cut that looked like cedar shakes. This was I think Antes Formation and had Triarthrus. We only ran out of the car for a couple of minutes here because it was the turnpike but other cuts in the area may have similar fossils.

Keep in mind that I've been in NC since '92 so all this info is old.

Archived