Brazos River, Texas - Scute?

Mike Price

I dug this heavy little piece and several other nice bones out of a dark orange clay bank (modeling clay). I think that is why this piece and the other bones is well preserved?

This piece is 1.75 and .25 thick, the back is concave. It weighs 16g.

Is this a Chunk-o-saurus or maybe a Dermal armor with skin?

Or... should I just ask, does anyone know exactly what this is?

Thanks y'all....

20170421_223822-1.jpg

Gesch, I don't know. I dug this up last summer in hot August when the Brazos river water is clearer and water level is usually always several feet or more lower than the normal wet season  muddy waterline. Some of the best fossils and shells are found in the exposed fine clay during that time of the year. I have Glyptodon, armadillo, croc and gator scutes and none look like or have the same texture like this piece.

Thanks......

If you were finding those types of things, check out sloth osteoderms. It is not my area of expertise, so I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility. In fact, it wasn't too long ago that I learned from this forum that sloths even had osteoderms. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in this area will chime in.

EDIT: Check out this thread.

Thanks Gesch, after searching osteoderms here on FF and trying to narrow them down, you might be right. It might be a sloth osteoderm or could be a glyptodon or armadillo. I'm still not sure which exact species tho.

PC100009.jpg.8cbf79c942eb7b0f771cda65165da2de.jpg

This bone was found close to the same high bank because the lower part of this bone was exposed and easy to see. It appears to still have a skin flap on the top? Does anyone know what this is?

20170424_215754-1.jpg

I found a giant wart. Well, that's kind of what it looks like.....) Is it some type of dermal?

20170425_201435-1.jpg

Definitely not sloth. Sloth osteoderms are rather small, around half an inch. I'm not certain this is an osteoderm at all.

Edit: This could belong to sloth, even if just a fragment of another bone. It is not a sloth osteoderm though.

Archived