joshuajbelanger

I'll be in the Richmond area for a few days, any localities?

joshuajbelanger

I'm doing a Ragnar run next week in Richmond, then I'll be spending a few days in the city.  Just curious if there's any nice localities to hit up while I'm there.

thanks

-J

joshuajbelanger

You put me on some fossils, and I'll get there!

joshuajbelanger

Well, you've certainly given me something to research!  Thanks for the heads up.

-J

Plax

I'd google "Richmond Virginia Fossil localities" or some such. I've collected there but it was too long ago to remember where.

CrocodileJen

Where did you end up going? There's not really anything in Richmond, but travel less than 2 hours away and there are some options. 

Plax

There are a lot of fossil sites in the Richmond area. Not sure why you should drive two hours to find fossils???

Too late for Joshua Belinger though of course. I collected at a Calvert/Nanjemoy site in town on a high hill with the James River visible in the distance back in '92.

CrocodileJen
On 10/18/2017 at 2:01 PM, Plax said:

There are a lot of fossil sites in the Richmond area. Not sure why you should drive two hours to find fossils???

Too late for Joshua Belinger though of course. I collected at a Calvert/Nanjemoy site in town on a high hill with the James River visible in the distance back in '92.

Because approx 2 hours away is where the Stratford Cliffs from the Miocene Epoch are??? They are not IN Richmond. 

And the site you referenced is on the Potomac. 

Plax
On 10/20/2017 at 10:53 AM, CrocodileJen said:

Because approx 2 hours away is where the Stratford Cliffs from the Miocene Epoch are??? They are not IN Richmond. 

And the site you referenced is on the Potomac. 

I was collecting in Richmond I assure you. Perhaps I misunderstood you when you said there was nothing in Richmond.