New! Holmes county Mississippi

BennySnoop

Just started observing petrified wood in our  creeks where we hunt and noticed some other things outside petrified wood. Just looking to see if any of these are fossils/teeth/tusk?/some may be Native American. The longest piece has been carved on for sure looks to be on bone.

IMG_2013.JPG

• 1 month later...

I'm with @ynot for the most part, I'm not seeing anything that I immediately recognize as an artifact or fossil. That said I'd like to see better upclose photos of some from multiple angles (especially looking at the sharp edges on 2 from above). The one that I circled and labeled 1 I believe is either agate or petrified wood. The one marked 2 could be a broken piece of chert or it may have been worked by humans (photos of the edge will confirm or deny). And the one I circled and forgot to label 3 might be a celt, but I'm not very optimistic (again photos from multiple angles would help).

31619EAC-1CAA-4135-9586-433615A234C6-674-0000008421AB7677.jpeg

Hello from Maine and another armature who started out the same way. Arguably the correct way I might add.

The second photo down is quite tooth like. You need to focus as much on texture as shape though. It's the little details that make the difference.

Thank you so much. I took to a local natural history museum and nothing here was of much significance. There were two small fossils not shown imbedded in rock that I did not see. I'm still curious about the tooth like one but I guess it's not? Also there was some small petrified wood which we have a boatload of I kept a few small pieces just because they were interesting. We have found several 25-80 lb pieces of petrified wood that is what got this started for me, maybe something interesting will turn up!