Not a good day at Purse Sate Park

RCW3D

Unlike the success that @WAHAMA90 had yesterday, we were not as lucky. There was hardly any beach to search when we arrived, the winds from the past couple of days had packed the water into the Potomac. After driving 90 minutes, we didn't let it deter us and went out anyway. We brought along a contractor trash bag to help clean up the river and unfortunately we filled that full pretty quickly with mostly recyclables. The shark teeth were not as easy to come by as the trash...and when we did find them, they were small. Funny moment of the day was when I found a decent Otodus tooth, I held it up to show my wife and it slipped out of my hands into the river. Oops!

Well, on the positive side, I'll get to use my new digital microscope to check out the tiny teeth and we can honestly say that we did something on Earth Day.

Total haul of teeth:

18034113_10210764482522978_6195360578027193585_n.jpg.346ca518d5b086219d04e3f341215e5a.jpg

A waterlogged knucklehead dumping the trash:

18056978_10210764482202970_7649711805068362824_n.thumb.jpg.fe6977ee440d2204bf85c140ba781877.jpg

Total haul of trash:

18118699_10210764482322973_5702789031563657621_n.thumb.jpg.92ffd13b9f9b1bbbda82cd56ec0acc66.jpg

Rob :D

While you did not come away with what you wanted, it still appears that you did pretty well. Sometimes I carry a bag with me to pick up glass. Something to give back to the place that gives you fossils.

: )

You cant always have the best days, think of it as setting up, future good karma!

Thanks for making this world a little better place to live in!!! Happy Earth Day.

Mike

Congratulations and thanks for your contribution cleaning up Purse for Earth Day. Purse is a beautiful place besides being a terrific fossil site. Thanks for helping keep it that way.

Not a good day? Just look at all the trash you collected!;)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I thought this recent post was pertinent to the current topic:

• doushantuo    951

I am interested in way too may aspects of geology.

That's the trouble with me,I'm all over the place:P

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor paleontologist cartoon satire

•  
  •  

30 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I thought this recent post was pertinent to the current topic:

• doushantuo    951

I am interested in way too may aspects of geology.

That's the trouble with me,I'm all over the place:P

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor paleontologist cartoon satire

•  
  •  

How true!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

9 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Not a good day? Just look at all the trash you collected!;)

It actually made me extremely mad, I could have hauled out 10 times that if I had brought more bags. I've been going over there for the past 9 months and while I have hauled out trash before, this was the first time that I actively went there with this purpose in mind and I didn't realize how bad it was. I ended up limiting myself to just recyclables after it became very apparent that I would have a full bag within 15 minutes if I didn't. We will be bringing trash bags with us every time we go now, I know it won't make much of a dent but I can't turn a blind eye to it anymore. 

Rob :D

Hey Rob, 

I was doodling yesterday and created this in your honor!!!

DSC_0859.thumb.JPG.6938612e678751b936ce9ff8c1cd2f73.JPG

Ha!  :dinothumb: Gold star for you.

I mentioned before that I was up on my local mtn not too long ago digging an ammonite out, and this couple of kids (young teens I guess) came by on bikes and stopped in a sort of ditch not far from me where water was coming down off the rock, and proceeded to unload their bags, sorting thru things for a little while, then left. I walked over and they had left a small pile of garbage of all sorts: lunch wrappers and containers, plastic, a pair of underwear... I didn't have anything to carry it out with and frankly was kind of scared to touch any of it, but when I came back later it had been cleaned out. People walk up there and I guess some of them collect garbage like you do.

There are bad people and there are good people.

We have a rule whenever we go to the local lake, river, etc.  to always bring back more trash than we brought.  Even if that means only picking up one or two pieces of trash if we don't have much room. 

I tell my kids,  just imagine if everyone did this, pretty soon there wouldn't be any more trash.

(If I see someone throw trash out of a window of a vehicle in a parking lot or somewhere,  I go pick it up and tell them "Don't worry about your garbage,  I'll pick it up for you." )

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I have a friend that tells a story of when he and one of his college buddies were on a drive. When stopped at a red light, the car in front of them threw some trash out the window. His buddy hopped out of the passenger seat walked over to the car in front, knocked on the window and when the driver opened it he threw the trash back into the drivers lap and said " here, you must have dropped this".  It would take a lot of nerve to do what he did, but I think it got the point across.

10 hours ago, caldigger said:

I have a friend that tells a story of when he and one of his college buddies were on a drive. When stopped at a red light, the car in front of them threw some trash out the window. His buddy hopped out of the passenger seat walked over to the car in front, knocked on the window and when the driver opened it he threw the trash back into the drivers lap and said " here, you must have dropped this".  It would take a lot of nerve to do what he did, but I think it got the point across.

I have actually done the same twice. My wife says one of these times I am going to be shot. Once when at a red light in Downtown Rochester Mn., a van in front of me rolled multiple windows down and released 3 large Mc Donalds bags out the window. I jumped out of the car , collected the garbage and deposited it in the driver's lap. The van, driven by a parent,  was full of early teenage kids and when I finished "talking", I am sure they got the message and are unlikely to do that again. A similar situation happened on a rural road when a huge bag of trash was heaved from the vehicle in front of me. I quickly pulled over, grabbed the trash and sped up passing the car. As I passed the car, I motioned the driver to pull over and they did.  Obviously they did not notice that I had retrieved their junk. Again, my talk will hopefully have lasting results. I do not suggest doing as I do but I can not help myself when such stupidity occurs.

Bravo Mike, not sure I would have the guts to do so...by the way, it would be just my luck to do it to the driver that carries.

Archived