Tiny Stuff From Hungry Hollow

Kane

The day began with a morning hunt at my honey hole at "riprap hill," and I was pretty much skunked. I think, after four years, I've picked the place over. There is virtually nothing left for me to split, and given a mild winter, nothing new has weathered out. But I at least was graced by the sight of the living in the form of this majestic animal:

image.jpg

image.jpg_1

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It was then a trip to Hungry Hollow. We focused on the south pit as the river level was running dangerously fast and high after some heavy rainfall in the last while. Nothing exciting beyond the usual stuff, so I focused on picking up tiny bits as I enjoy doing that even if I have so much of the stuff already. Here is the sampler pack: a diverse array of crinoid bits, a few coral, two Microcyclus ("button coral"), some brachs, a large number of Bactrites nautiloids (some with fairly good preservation), and down along the right edge seven Tornoceras in descending size (they don't get very big in the Arkona Fm).

IMG_3110.JPG

As the "tornos" are so small, I decided to put my scope on them to bring out their detail (the first two are a gastro and a brach, but the rest are the tiny tornos). The grid I use (above and below) is 5mm x 5mm (0.19685 inches x 0.19685 inches). Magnification at 75x.

S20170423_007.jpg

S20170423_006.jpg

S20170423_005.jpg

S20170423_004.jpg

S20170423_003.jpg

S20170423_002.jpg

S20170423_001.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Just now, Peat Burns said:

Great finds. Do you find crowns of the crinoid Arthroacantha in the Hungry Hollow?

Thanks! Nothing fabulous, but good practice with patience. In terms of that crinoid, I do believe Arthroacantha carpenteri can be found, but it is a slog to go through the Arkona mudshale overburden, and lots of precautions are required for removal and storage (not letting it dry out too quickly, and never getting it wet!). Since much of the Arkona is blank, it takes a lot of patience and sweat to find the crinoid lenses. 

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Kane said:

As the "tornos" are so small, I decided to put my scope on them to bring out their detail (the first two are a gastro and a brach, but the rest are the tiny tornos). The grid I use (above and below) is 5mm x 5mm (0.19685 inches x 0.19685 inches). Magnification at 75x.

S20170423_006.jpg

This is actually a pelecypod (Paracyclas lirata).

Thanks for the save... I knew that, but typed in haste!  :wacko:

42 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks! Nothing fabulous, but good practice with patience. In terms of that crinoid, I do believe Arthroacantha carpenteri can be found, but it is a slog to go through the Arkona mudshale overburden, and lots of precautions are required for removal and storage (not letting it dry out too quickly, and never getting it wet!). Since much of the Arkona is blank, it takes a lot of patience and sweat to find the crinoid lenses. 

Thanks.  Those "ribbed" columnals are reminiscent of the columnals of A. carpenteri, but I don't know how many other taxa have similar columnals or whether the connection can be made.  In the Silica Formation, the most common crowns I found were A. carpenteri, and those similar columnals were everywhere :)  But, again, I know that matching loose columnals to a crinoid taxa can be difficult or impossible. 

• I found this Informative 1

Nice haul. That's a lot of fossils and the nautiloids I think have the most interesting shapes.