Mystery molar from Hamstead

TXV24

Hi, 

Haven't been on here for a while as I've been quite busy lately but I managed to get out collecting yesterday at my usual spot along the coast at Hamstead. Whilst I was collecting I came across this fragment of a fossil molar washed up on the beach. From the look of it I'd tentatively say that it's from the Pleistocene gravels (which can be found along most of the cliff tops and offshore), however a lot of the Eocene/Oligocene material can also appear to be quite young and in good condition. To me it resembles a fragment of rhinoceros or elephant tooth, but at the same time it also looks similar to Paleotherium molars I have seen, whose remains have been found in the tertiary clays here. The enamel has been worn down to the dentine and the growth pattern can also be seen in the enamel. Any opinions or help as to what it could be would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_4696.JPG

I'm leaning more towards Oligocene Rhino/Hornless Rhino. 

• I found this Informative 2

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Hi thanks for the reply. I think you're on to something there as I've heard of a Ronzotherium humerus being found further along the coast at Bouldnor so Oligocene Rhino would be plausible. If it is it would be seriously exciting as it'd be a very rare find for the Bouldnor Formation. 

On 4/23/2017 at 8:17 AM, TXV24 said:

Hi thanks for the reply. I think you're on to something there as I've heard of a Ronzotherium humerus being found further along the coast at Bouldnor so Oligocene Rhino would be plausible. If it is it would be seriously exciting as it'd be a very rare find for the Bouldnor Formation. 

It looks like a piece of a larger tooth - probably too large to an Oligocene form other than an indricothere (present in western Europe?).  It might be a piece of a woolly rhino tooth and therefore Pleistocene in age.  You might be able to match it to a photo online.