2ynpigo

Fossils North Of Guadalupe Box, Jemez Mountains

2ynpigo

Marine fossils are found in a roadcut through about 30 feet of the upper part of the Osha Canyon Formation (Pennsylvanian) about 4 miles north of Guadalupe Box in the Jemez Mountains. The locality produces a number of brachiopod species, as well as crinoid and other echinoid fragments, and solitary rugose coral. The roadcut is at 35 degrees 46 minutes 38 seconds north, 106 degrees 47 minutes 35 seconds west. Collect below, between, and immediately above the limestone beds in the roadcut for best results.

A picture of the roadcut is shown here.

The roadcut is on NM HWY 485, about 9.5 miles northwest of the juncton between NM HWY 485 and NM HWY 4. You'll know when you reach Guadalupe Box because the canyon narows and you will drive through two short tunnels. The fossil locality is about 4 miles north of the tunnels.

post-1365-1246411788_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

View of the west side of the roadcut.

post-1365-1246411882_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

View of the east side of the roadcut.

post-1365-1246411941_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Anthracospirifer for the smaller ones.

I believe the larger brach is Neospirifer. It was the only one we found at this locality.

post-1365-1246412059_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Punctospirifer. These are small brachs.

post-1365-1246412144_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Hustedia. These are also small brachs.

post-1365-1246412231_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Neochonetes. More small brachs and very abundant at this locality.

post-1365-1246412330_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Some examples of the small rugose corals.

post-1365-1246412389_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Composita brachiopods.

post-1365-1246412437_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Scenery in the area. A picture of Guadalupe Box -- 4 miles to the south. The Rio Guadalupe flows through this canyon.

post-1365-1246412552_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

I should mention that the road is closed off in the winter and early spring. The locality is on National Forest land and is open for collecting.

Hawkeye
Scenery in the area. A picture of Guadalupe Box -- 4 miles to the south. The Rio Guadalupe flows through this canyon.

What an absolutely beautiful place to hunt. Good assortment of brachiopods!

tracer

thanks for posting this topic. this is just great, and the kind of thing we all love to see on the forum.

MikeD

A nice assortment. Looks like a good place.

Guest N.AL.hunter

What a beautiful place to collect fossils. Nice finds and good pics. It is nice to see things from places we do not normally get to see.

2ynpigo

Some unidentified brachiopods. These, like the others shown in this posting, are fairly common at this locality. Probably Parajuresania.

post-1365-1246507575_thumb.jpg

post-1365-1246507600_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Possible Derbyia. These are rare at this locality.

post-1365-1246508120_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Finally, sections of crinoid stems and other echinoid pieces.

post-1365-1246508218_thumb.jpg

mommabetts

Nice finds, thanks for sharing.

Taxman56

ROAD TRIP Thanks Planning my 6th cross country trip this summer. These stops kill my gas mileage LOL

Taxman56

Great Report and dead on GPS 2ynpigo. But be very observant or you'll miss this outcrop.

I was there Sept 2011 and its appears to be pretty well picked clean. I found a few pieces of shells. Maybe some one with better eyes and who can climb like a mountain goat can do better.

But the ride up the canyon is worth the ride up there. Its a very deep and narrow canyon. Wonderfully scenery and the tunnels are cool. The road was originally a narrow gauge railroad. And take the time to drive all the way through for another 20 miles, through the high mountain meadows. Lots of interesting geology up there and lots of free primitive camping. It comes back out on Rt 4. The national forest people keep the dirt road in really good condition.

The week I was up there they had some really heavy rains in that area and the mountain washes dumped a lot of dirt onto the road Rt 4.

While your up there check out the Valles Caldera National Preserve and hike out onto the ancient lava fields. Want some real fun, take your GPS wander around and then try and find your way back. Wear good boots.

Note that one road out to some of the volcanic mounds is clay and has a warning sign not to drive out there if there wet. I saw some guy 1/2 mile from the road waiting for it to dry out so he could get out. Father down the road is a nicely maintained road to the lava fields with a bathroom.

2ynpigo

I know of at least one geology professor taking students out to this locality for the last couple of years.

BillG

I was at Guadalupe Box yesterday and along a long stretch on NM 485. At one point along the route I stopped and looked over the side of the road to see an old car upside down. This is a good place to be careful driving.