Deep Springs Road 4/23/17

Darktooth

Today 's plan was to hunt for Dipleura dekayi trilobites. I was hoping to go to the classic Sangerfield site which I have had good luck in the past. But the boys said they wanted to go to Deep Springs Road. Having found some Dipleura material there in the past, I wasn't to disappointed as I knew there was possibility to find one there as well. Today was absolutely beautiful.  We arrived at the site exactly at 10:30. I decided before we even arrived to work a section the somebody else had dug in pretty good, and I have held back on digging in that spot the past couple times I have been there. Immediately i was finding Greenops cephalons, pygidiums and partial body frags. Eventually a found one Eldredgeops rana cephalon.  Then finally there came Dipleura parts. I found mostly cephalons and isolated body segments. Then finally a pretty big pygidium. That is when I started feeling like I was getting close to a whole one. At this point we had been there awhile and I had moved a lot of rock. The boys were finding their own prizes. Every 2 seconds it was "Dad look what I found" "Dad what is this"" Dad what is that". Then I dug the chisel in one more time and I got a big chunk loose. I flipped it over and there it was a smaller but still decent Dipleura! But something is wrong, where is the cephalon?  It did not take long to figure out that my chisel took out the poor trilos face! I can't lie, my heart broke right there. Especially because the body and pygidium looked pretty well preserved. Oh well. I went to work to remove what was there. The  body came right off the matrix and left the tail behind. I was able to salvage it and superglued it when I got home. So not to shabby.  What is there measures 2 3/4 inches. Also I found a pretty complete Greenops. One of the eyes popped off, so that got glued as well. All in all it was areally nice hunt and time well spent with my boys. Here are some pics. I hope you enjoy.

1st Dipleura with negative

2nd Greenops with negative

20170423_182525.jpg

20170423_182438.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Dipleura in situ. I hope you guys are proud of me, because I never get pics of these.:D

20170423_122900.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1st The site

2 The section I worked

3 Another section I worked

There will be more to come later. I have to charge my phone

20170423_135431.jpg

20170423_135502.jpg

20170423_135525.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

THAT Looks like fun!!

Love those little Greenops, may need to look into adding one to my collection!

Looks like you found some nice material and it's always more interesting to see it in situ.  Hope to get back up that way later this summer.  Thanks for sharing

12 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

THAT Looks like fun!!

Love those little Greenops, may need to look into adding one to my collection!

I will be back there many times in the coming months. I am sure after a couple more trips I could send one your way.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Nice bugs! Congrats. I wish i had trilo shale by me.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

13 minutes ago, RandyB said:

Looks like you found some nice material and it's always more interesting to see it in situ.  Hope to get back up that way later this summer.  Thanks for sharing

Let me know when you want to come. I need to make up for bailing on the last trip.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Just now, fossilized6s said:

Nice bugs! Congrats. I wish i had trilo shale by me.

I feel the same way about sharkteeth! But I do consider myself lucky to have multiple trilo sites within under a 2 hr drive.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Here is a tiny Dipleura. Part of the cephalon and body segments are exposed. I don't know if this will prep out. I don't have the tools anyways.

20170423_192708.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Here's a pic of my cluttered work bench. I know I am a slob. Tools, fossils, and fishing gear litter the bench.

20170423_192134.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Some Greenops and Eldredgeops cephs. Also some criniod segments.

20170423_191839.jpg

20170423_191942.jpg

20170423_191856.jpg

20170423_191908.jpg

20170423_191957.jpg

20170423_192027.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Great pictures and report, Dave!

Looks like great weather fantastic finds. :) 

Thanks for posting them. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Really nice Dipleura and Greenops Dave. Congratulations. You and the boys have made some really excellent finds there. Looks like you all had a wonderful day.

13 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Really nice Dipleura and Greenops Dave. Congratulations. You and the boys have made some really excellent finds there. Looks like you all had a wonderful day.

Yeah Jeff we have been really enjoying are trips there. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone there in a couple weeks.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Man, Dave, that rock splitting seems like work! Then again, a full basket in my scraper is work to ! Looks like you had a good day and some cool finds!

25 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Yeah Jeff we have been really enjoying are trips there. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone there in a couple weeks.

You mean on the 21st of May?

6 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

You mean on the 21st of May?

Yes

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Great trip report - thanks for sharing. The pictures of the site itself looks like it has a lot of potential (to lose uncountable hours at!).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Great trip report - thanks for sharing. The pictures of the site itself looks like it has a lot of potential (to lose uncountable hours at!).

It does. It has a great diversity of finds, and you would do landscape altering damage to that place :P  oh Mr. Human Backhoe. ;) 

You would actually love it there, Kane. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Nice pics and finds: ) 

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice finds, I also wish I had Paleozoic rock near me. The brachs are quite nice too, though they get less attention.

Archived