salvo1989s

I don't think it can be said with any certainty. There doesn't seem to be evidence of any nodes. What ever it was looks coalified .

• I found this Informative 3

I am not seeing nodes or ribbing like you would expect from Calamites

I think it may just be a decorticated stem or branch, and not likely identifiable beyond plant. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I am not seeing nodes or ribbing like you would expect from Calamites

I think it may just be a decorticated stem or branch, and not likely identifiable beyond plant. 

Regards,

Ok thanks , I found this one as well what can be? Just a mineral inclusion I think 

image.jpg

Hi.  I agree that it's impossible to be sure due to the preservation, but I think I can see large ridges on it so I think Sigillaria and Syringodendron are most likely.  I have collected from a site with almost identical rock layers to Besom hill and they are the most common plant stems there so it would make sense for your fossil to be one of the two.

I think your other find is probably a burrow.  Most of the ones in the British coal measures seem to be made by worms.

Daniel

• I found this Informative 2