Fossil hunting near Rochester NY

crabfossilsteve

Hey Guys, family member are going to meet up at Sodus Point, NY for an outing during June 7 thru June 11.  Sodus Point is located on Lake Ontario east of Rochester.  Although I know of some fossil hunting locations in upper NY, they are all located around Buffalo.  I would like to take my 5 year old niece out on a fossil hunting excursion.  She is well on her way to being a rock nut and wants to be the first paleontologist on Mars.  Love it.  If any of you guys know of some productive sites that would be kid friendly and would be willing to share the location(s) it would be greatly appreciated.  If you'd like PM me.  I am aware of the Penn Dixie site, but that may be too far to go.

Thanks

)s

49 minutes ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Hey Guys, family member are going to meet up at Sodus Point, NY for an outing during June 7 thru June 11.  Sodus Point is located on Lake Ontario east of Rochester.  Although I know of some fossil hunting locations in upper NY, they are all located around Buffalo.  I would like to take my 5 year old niece out on a fossil hunting excursion.  She is well on her way to being a rock nut and wants to be the first paleontologist on Mars.  Love it.  If any of you guys know of some productive sites that would be kid friendly and would be willing to share the location(s) it would be greatly appreciated.  If you'd like PM me.  I am aware of the Penn Dixie site, but that may be too far to go.

Thanks

You might try to message MikeyMig.  He is very familiar with that area. 

He isn't so much into fossils anymore, ...  from what I gather, but he may have some sites for you to check out. 

Regards, 

@mikeymig

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I believe there are some sites south of there in the Finger Lakes. Do a little more research you might come up with some good sites that are kid friendly. Good luck.

Thanks Jeffery and Tim

I was hoping to find some sites close to the area.  I did some research, but see what else I might be able to find.  Unfortunately, mikeymig did not respond to my message.  Thanks guys.

9 minutes ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Thanks Jeffery and Tim

I was hoping to find some sites close to the area.  I did some research, but see what else I might be able to find.  Unfortunately, mikeymig did not respond to my message.  Thanks guys.

Steve,

If you are on Facebook at all, he was more active on there - I think his page is Miglietta Museum of Natural History. You could try to message him there.

Good Luck. :) 

EDIT - Also a number of Monroe County sites listed HERE. Old info, but a good place to start research from.

By the way - Penn Dixie is about 1 hour, & 20 minutes from Rochester. With a 5 year old it might be pushing the patience level, but something to consider.

Guaranteed that she would find stuff there. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me