Is this a skull?

resistance91

Hello guys! I'm new here and my English not perfect as you see :) I found this fossils and i wonder what they are. It seems to me that first one looks like turtle shell but i have no idea about other one. Can anyone help me? Thank you!

Cse8zhWWIAATtAY.jpg

Cse9cGmWAAARE5p.jpg

Cse9QYNWIAExDUS.jpg

Cse9XEUXgAAqOMw.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The first one is a partial sand dollar and the second is a kind of echinoid. Both are very closely related but are not from animals with bones.

• I found this Informative 2

9 minutes ago, resistance91 said:

Hello guys! I'm new here and my English not perfect as you see :) I found this fossils and i wonder what they are. It seems to me that first one looks like turtle shell but i have no idea about other one. Can anyone help me? Thank you!

Looks like some kind of echinoid, likely a sand dollar. There are associated shell bits that give it the allusion of being made of bone. 

Welcome to TFF!

Those are nice finds ! Congrats :)

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Welcome to the forum! :yay-smiley-1:

I probably shouldn't admit this, but at first glance I thought the top photo was turtle. :blush: It wasn't until I read Carl's post that I noticed the ambulacral (pores?). Anyway, I marked them on your photos for future reference. If you see these double rows of dots, it usually means you have an echinoid of some sort.

sanddollar.jpg

echinoid.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice assemblage - echinoids with pectinid bivalves. The location of the find, age of the sediments might help in the further investigations.

If there is a Miocene realm, the domed one could be Echinocorys sp. , similar to this:

Kroh_2001_Bruderndorf_Fm_LQ.thumb.jpg.88e5c7583ebb5be334c9f7f56054745b.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hoşgeldiniz to The Fossil Forum, resistance91!  Your English is a LOT better than my Turkish!  Of course...I haven't spoken any Turkish in almost forty years!  I agree with the others as far as the identification of your fossils is concerned.  Nice finds!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

6 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Nice assemblage - echinoids with pectinid bivalves. The location of the find, age of the sediments might help in the further investigations.

If there is a Miocene realm, the domed one could be Echinocorys sp. , similar to this:

Kroh_2001_Bruderndorf_Fm_LQ.thumb.jpg.88e5c7583ebb5be334c9f7f56054745b.jpg

The exact location is here: https://www.google.com.tr/maps/place/Özdek,+62800+Özdek+Köyü%2FMazgirt%2FTunceli/@39.2389196,39.2465614,6z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4071412e567b2f13:0x3493d840b8d4fc4c

7 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Welcome to the forum! :yay-smiley-1:

I probably shouldn't admit this, but at first glance I thought the top photo was turtle. :blush: It wasn't until I read Carl's post that I noticed the ambulacral (pores?). Anyway, I marked them on your photos for future reference. If you see these double rows of dots, it usually means you have an echinoid of some sort.

sanddollar.jpg

echinoid.jpg

Thank you :)

3 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Hoşgeldiniz to The Fossil Forum, resistance91!  Your English is a LOT better than my Turkish!  Of course...I haven't spoken any Turkish in almost forty years!  I agree with the others as far as the identification of your fossils is concerned.  Nice finds!

-Joe

Thank you Joe :)

Here is for example a specimen from the Upper Cretaceous of Turkey, the holotype of Echinocorys edhemi in the collection of Natural History Museum :

specimen6194.jpg.c22a9f18726713360d014c72043284e8.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hi,

On your 1st sea urchin, I put in yellow the ambulacra area, in blue the interambulacra area and in red one interambulacra plate.

When you can see something like red / blue area on a fossil (with "zigzag"), you reasonably think that you have a sea urchin in front of you.

2z8zvxx.jpg

Coco

• I found this Informative 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

11 hours ago, doushantuo said:

just guessing that you mean Conoclypeus?

Yes, that was a typo, I meant Conoclypeus. 

regards

Andreas

Unfortunately the second specimen lacks the basal (bottom) side and it is partially eroded on the apical (top) side. :(

Thomas Mann

My Library