Please help identify childhood fossil mandible

Showcase

Hello everyone! My name is Jack, and I am hoping one of you can help me out. To be clear, I have zero experience or knowledge when it comes to fossils. I absolutely loved dinosaurs when I was a kid, which led to my parents buying me this fossil of a partial mandible and teeth. I've starred at it ever since, always wondering what it might have been. I was cleaning out old boxes and I happen to find it! Last time I laid eyes on it was in the late 90's so I never had a chance to get it looked at. If there is anyone who would be able to give me some information on it, it would be fantastic. What kind of creature, what time period and quality of the sample etc.. any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I'm not an expert by any means, ... but I think your piece resembles a partial Oreodont jaw. 

Possibly from the White River Formation.

Wait for a few more opinions, though. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

It appears to a partial skull of an Oreodont, an creature similar to today's Camels.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Here is an old series of posts from the Forum detailing an Oreodont prep. As the others have said, that is the donor animal of your nice piece.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

And i will say with 95% certainty that it is from South Dakota judging from the redness I see all over it.  It is about 35 million years old, late Eocene or more likely early Oligocene.  

Wow I love it! It surprises me that it's a fossilized mammal, I've always thought as a kid that it was much older and perhaps some sort of dinosaur (shows what I know). Non the less, I think it's just as fascinating and 35 million years is nothing to sneeze at. I believe this has spurred my interest enough that I want to go hunting for some more fossils!

Archived