Shellseeker

Very interesting day.  Found a glyptodon osteoderm and the tip of a sloth canine,  but the ones I do not know are the reason for this post.

1st Fossil = Hoof core (1x2.25x3 inches)

Hoofcore1.thumb.JPG.e92521801470cb4089752cb40d2e325b.JPG

2nd Fossil = Vertebrae process (2x1.5 inches)

Vertprocess.thumb.jpg.8fce2672fb7aad292015a11f2e436a99.jpg

Highest degree of difficulty == I have no clue.  0.6 inches

Unktooth6.thumb.jpg.9fcc0baefaf7756f4cb97766a7e8d5e4.jpgUnktooth7.thumb.jpg.8db931ff84b91db432149c5d1aca0678.jpgUnktooth3.thumb.jpg.1c7bc7b0b92f0d740b2dca95510aa856.jpg

Thanks for any/all responses and ID suggestions.   Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The first picture is of a hoof core like you say. Either Bison or Bos. I'm leaning more towards bison but as we all know, color alone doesn't mean it is fossil.

Vertebral process is right, I don't have the comparative material to give an ID to what it is.

The last, to me, looks like a carnassial. A pretty big carnivore too. I'd think dire wolf or possibly jaguar.

8 hours ago, calhounensis said:

The first picture is of a hoof core like you say. Either Bison or Bos. I'm leaning more towards bison but as we all know, color alone doesn't mean it is fossil.

Vertebral process is right, I don't have the comparative material to give an ID to what it is.

The last, to me, looks like a carnassial. A pretty big carnivore too. I'd think dire wolf or possibly jaguar.

Thanks Daniel, excellent feedback... On the vert process, I am thinking top process of dolphin. It is in great shape (no river erosion) and would date fossils from this location.

The hoof core is also highly detailed which would imply Bos. Whether Bos or Bison, at 3 inches it seems small to me -- Bison hoof core should be larger -- no?

On the tooth fragment, I realized it was odd from just looking at interior core  - hollow, enamel layer, dentine but really small -- but does not come to a conical point.  Carnassial for a larger predator fits what we can see.   Jack

IMG_3499cm.thumb.jpg.50bbce05edebfcfacee9532699e0827e.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

For comparison of the predator tooth fragment.  Nice detection!!! Look at that tip

DireolfCarnassialtip.thumb.jpg.f593cbd4e351df638e6b4510cdc49db7.jpg

Archived