What creature could have made this?

CherylZ

Welcome to TFF!

Although there is a resemblance to a raccoon print, I think it is a pseudo fossil. Just an odd depression in the rock and not a foot/paw print.

See what others think.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I second ynot's view. It might be a fossil impression, but it does give a pseudofossil vibe. A provocative piece that would certainly cause one to look twice!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I'm thinking it might be a highly suggestive impression of an oyster.  The "palm" would be a smoother area near the umbo, and the "fingers" would be impressions of strong ribs that developed a small distance from the umbo.  So maybe not a pseudofossil per se, but still not an actual hand print.  Very cool, I would keep it if I found it.

Don

It certainly is a suggestive-looking piece!  Maybe it is the proof that some people are seeking for alien visitations during the Cretaceous! :ighappy: 

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

An important clue here is the lack of a layer of plate shaped minerals that would indicate the presence of a bedding plain. Footprints are unlikely to be recovered without it.

5 hours ago, Phishmi said:

First of all, these prints are found in the Permian, whereby most of Texas is cretacean as far as I know. Need more info there. Secondly, count the number of "digits". I'll go along with Don on this.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Archived