Is this a Claw?

TonyB

I found this and thought it might be a claw? Found in the Eastern Washington/North Idaho area.

It weighs 20 oz and measures 5" x 4" and is about 1.5" at its thickest point. I do have more pictures but I'm having sizing issures.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

20170426_112118.jpg

Do you know exactly where in east washington/northern idaho area? It seems that the borders between them are dates in Neogene, mostly Miocene rock, so its probably a mammal. I dont think its a claw, since its too thick compared to Miocene animals at the time. It could be a toe or something.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I can't be more specific about the area (I don't know) and there is the possibility that it was brought from another area (found at local auction)

Here is a different angle with no flash

20170426_111837.jpg

I agree with ammonite section, from who knows where. Google search Mortoniceras for an ammonite with similar features to what you have.

So now that you've shown a new angle, it changes everything. Probably actually from a different location, or from some small pocket of older rock in-between. At that angle, it looks absolutely nothing like a toe, tooth, or claw, but a piece of ammonite. I'll now have to agree that its probably a section of an ammonite. Nice find, btw :)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Archived