What is this fossil in this obelisk?

Ares

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

The dark grey area looks like some sort of coral. 

Neat piece, for sure. 

With the new close up I agree with coral.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I think, there are not enought details to make a conclusion about the possibility of being a coral, but it looks like that. Hight-res image is needed.

20170426_151331.jpg.cb1fb6efdeaa1baa5d3b5dcd29edbe2c.thumb.jpg.0952c0f9fd296e81745eef4366958905.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

looks like the gray thing is coral, with crinoid pieces and other assorted critter parts

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Yes, the grey part does indeed look like an agatized tabulated coral. I agree with the others with crinoid stems and bryozoans throughout. 

This thing is very cool! 

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

• 1 year later...

Revisiting this discussion, I'm curious to know if it is common to find so much diverse life on one rock? Also, is there any plant life on this rock?

3 minutes ago, Ares said:

Revisiting this discussion, I'm curious to know if it is common to find so much diverse life on one rock? Also, is there any plant life on this rock?

Yes it can be common in some areas to find what is called crinoidal limestone, which is almost entirely made up of crinoid stem segments, and sometimes, other sea fossils. 

Also, death assemblages of ocean floors and reefs are found in many areas.

Probably not much or no plant material, as this is from ocean related deposits. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

26 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Yes it can be common in some areas to find what is called crinoidal limestone, which is almost entirely made up of crinoid stem segments, and sometimes, other sea fossils. 

Also, death assemblages of ocean floors and reefs are found in many areas.

Probably not much or no plant material, as this is from ocean related deposits. 

I couldn't find any other examples online that showed agatized corral along with sea fossils.

On 4/26/2017 at 6:17 PM, Ares said:

20170426_181624.jpg

The coral part is actually a green color, not grey. Does anyone know what type of corral this is considered?

Hi, your aunt must have been a fabulous collector. All i can say is that your coral is a colonial, so not a solitary one.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hi Fossil Forum, I need advice. I came accross a collector who is asking to trade me this Obelisk in exchange for other items, like Geodes. I dont know how to value this item. I would really appreciate any suggestions about a money value. Thanks All!

21 minutes ago, Kane said:

Unfortunately appraisals are beyond our remit here. :( 

Are you aware of a site that has more liberty to speak about this?

Sadly, no. Your best bet may be to see what similar items go for on the auction sites. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

Sadly, no. Your best bet may be to see what similar items go for on the auction sites. 

Are there any auction sites dedicated to fossil items? I tried online, but no luck. I cannot find any similar fossils mixed with corral.

16 minutes ago, Ares said:

Are there any auction sites dedicated to fossil items? I tried online, but no luck. I cannot find any similar fossils mixed with corral.

A cursory glance online pulls up quite a few 'Large Fossil Obelisks' .  I'm not sure what the size of this lovely specimen is but you can start there. At least get a baseline of what sold (I'm trolling images only and finding listings) and for how much. 

Honestly any decent stone obelisk of a similar size (Marble/Obsidian etc..) will probably be a good place to start.  Though beautiful, these large assemblages are not particularly uncommon.

Good Luck !

Brett

• I found this Informative 4

This obelisk was cut out of a reef-debris layer. Such layers are common nearly everywhere over the world.

So the value is not of the fossils itself but of the work to form that obelisk. For sure the size determining the price as well and the optical beautiness (no cracks, no polish artifacts, etc.).

Brett has pointed the right direction...

10 hours ago, Pemphix said:

This obelisk was cut out of a reef-debris layer. Such layers are common nearly everywhere over the world.

So the value is not of the fossils itself but of the work to form that obelisk. For sure the size determining the price as well and the optical beautiness (no cracks, no polish artifacts, etc.).

Brett has pointed the right direction...

The height is 21 inches. I'm not really sure how to judge the beautiness of it. Does the presence of Corral contribute to the value? 

As already said such pieces are more of interest for people searching deco for their house, or for some fossil enthusiast, placing it in the office or so.

As all the fossils are common or very common, they do not have a bigger value for itself (i mean, it's not a T-Rex tooth...). It's more the "artwork" in whole which maybe is interesting for some customers. 

Basically you have to decide for yourself if the piece you received from your aunt means more to you then what is being offered in trade. Depending on what type of geodes are being offered some can be quite expensive. Monetary value  aside, you may or may not find them more desirable. Honestly I have see these and other obelisks for sale, and while i don't remember exact prices, i don't believe they were terribly  expensive.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

On 2019-02-24 at 4:28 PM, Darktooth said:

Basically you have to decide for yourself if the piece you received from your aunt means more to you then what is being offered in trade. Depending on what type of geodes are being offered some can be quite expensive. Monetary value  aside, you may or may not find them more desirable. Honestly I have see these and other obelisks for sale, and while i don't remember exact prices, i don't believe they were terribly  expensive.

I found this on online. It is the same dimension as the one I have. But does not have the corral, or as many fossils. Would this be a good example for the value?

Image removed as it contained seller verbiage. Forum rules are clear that we cannot provide appraisals here, and that includes estimations based on comparative items. ;)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer