Dylan

Hiking Part 4,

Hiked the furthest Ive ever been down the riverbed I usually hunt. Had intentions to pick up some concretions and I Did. I wasn't expecting to find what I did, so I'm pretty excited about all of it. My first actual defined ammonite!!! Tell me what you think, yes it pretty beat up but its still beautiful. Roughly 7 Inches in diameter.

IMG_2898.jpg

Great suture patterns - I agree, ... Lovely. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I can't venture an id until I know more specifics. Where was it found? There are a heckuva lot of river beds in Canada, although only a minority of them would have ammonites in them. Can you tell us anything about the local geology? Did you find any other fossils alongside this one?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I can't venture an id until I know more specifics. Where was it found? There are a heckuva lot of river beds in Canada, although only a minority of them would have ammonites in them. Can you tell us anything about the local geology? Did you find any other fossils alongside this one?

I believe I'm in the geological region of Bear Paw formation. The ammonites I can find, are between the Placenticeras meeki and Placenticeras intercalate. As well, a Baculite; Baculites Compresses. 

I've found sponges, corals, shells, one partial Baculite and one ammonite as it sits. Fragments of others as well. This is the first actual decent specimen of ammonite I've found. 

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I believe I'm in the geological region of Bear Paw formation. The ammonites I can find, are between the Placenticeras meeki and Placenticeras intercalate. As well, a Baculite; Baculites Compresses. 

I've found sponges, corals, shells, one partial Baculite and one ammonite as it sits. Fragments of others as well. This is the first actual decent specimen of ammonite I've found. 

Thanks. I'm not all that familiar with Campanian fauna, but it might be a Pachydiscus. Please show us a view of the keel, so that we can judge the whorl breadth.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

If those radiating, intermittent "vanes" are actually constrictions in the steinkern, you might compare with Gaudryceras, another Upper K form.  I've found a couple complete G. kayei in the Maastrichtian of Texas.  Do these "constrictions" continue around the venter and onto the opposite flank with bilateral symmetry?  No matter what genus, this would be a welcome addition to any collection.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

This is certainly very different from PlacenticerasPachydiscus does occur in correlative strata in North/South Dakota, though it is very rare.  However the constrictions do not seem typical of Pachydiscus.  As Uncle Siphuncle said, gaudrycerids do have these constrictions, but I think they have a more Tethyan distribution as well as Pacific; at least I have never heard of them so far up the Western Interior seaway.  However desmocerids (Desmoceras, Mooremanoceras, Damesites, Schluteria,Pseudohougelia, etc) also have constrictions like that, and some did occur in the western interior seaway, so you might also look at that possibility.

Don