Rockin' Ric

Hello ya'll!  It's been over 20 years since I picked up a pencil to draw anything until now. I'm a creative person by trade and avid fossil collector but don’t have a whole lot of knowledge about dinosaur anatomy? I always wanted to be a paleo artist to some degree, so here is my very first attempt to do a large scale drawing which is also a first of a T-rex! The reading glasses on the sketch will give you idea on scale. Go easy on me fellas, I've learned much from the challenge of this one and still have a ways to go! It may be my first but it won't be my last! When completed I will post it...just not sure when????

20170426_204059.jpg

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

• Not something you want to meet up with in a dark ally. Great job so far, way beyond my crude talents.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I like it!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The classical T-Rex! I love this. Can't wait to see it finished!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Nice detail! You certainly have some mad skillz! Can't wait to see it when it's complete.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 minutes ago, jpc said:

nice drawing.  (I had to look twice to see if you had drawn the glasses and pencils in there).  

Lol jpc, I've done Trompe-l'œil drawings before...that would also make a cool drawing! 

2 hours ago, Rockin' Ric said:

Lol jpc, I've done Trompe-l'œil drawings before...that would also make a cool drawing! 

I agree...  if you go that direction, please show us.  

When out in the badlands...on my hands and knees inspecting a T rex tooth,  I sometimes get an ominous feeling that if I look over my shoulder that eyes like that will be staring at me.

'Give me my tooth back'

On April 26, 2017 at 8:55 PM, fossilized6s said:

Very nice so far. Don't forget the plumage....lol

Thanks fossilized6s! I think I will stick with the classic T-rex for now. Haven't mastered drawing feathers especially on a dino...

Thanks to all for the kind comments and encouragement. I hope to be doing more of these in the future...I just have to finish this one and hopefully that will be soon. As soon as I get it done I will post the picture finished. Then start on my all-time favorite Cerotopsian/Triceratops which was every kids all-time favorite!

On 4/26/2017 at 8:49 PM, Rockin' Ric said:

Hello ya'll!  It's been over 20 years since I picked up a pencil to draw anything until now. I'm a creative person by trade and avid fossil collector but don’t have a whole lot of knowledge about dinosaur anatomy? I always wanted to be a paleo artist to some degree, so here is my very first attempt to do a large scale drawing which is also a first of a T-rex! The reading glasses on the sketch will give you idea on scale. Go easy on me fellas, I've learned much from the challenge of this one and still have a ways to go! It may be my first but it won't be my last! When completed I will post it...just not sure when????

20170426_204059.jpg

Every. Individual. Scale has to be colorized! Slowly but surely progressing to a finished drawing. The question is when?

20170503_210613-1.jpg

Great drawing!

The only thing that irritates me is that red tissue in the corner of the mouth. To me it looks like single strands of raw muscle that I wouldn´t expect to see exposed in an healthy animal.

Just my impression, otherwise great!

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Also remember that Tyrannosaur hands do not face downwards. They should face inwards. Theropods could not rotate their wrists like we can.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite