Hi! Newb Checking In From The Bayou State, LARGE Tools

MyGodMagma

A casual rockhounder for most of my life, this hobby turned avid about 6 years ago. Oddly, I found and joined this site a few days ago and at dusk YESTERDAY I dug up the strangest collection of very large and chunky American Indian stone tools. (This find is unique for this area, we really don't have rocks of size here in southeast Louisiana. I've never seen a naturally occurring rock here even as large as a football. I grew up in Toronto, Ontario so their absence is notably conspicuous to me even 20 years later.)

I'll add more photos taken in natural light soon, I have more digging to do at this site today. Proper photos to follow later. I'd be interested in any thoughts you'd like to share, especially from states in the Deep South. These pieces are HEFTY, that large chunk in pic 2 is 2lbs, easily. Thanks!

~caroline 

IMG_9419.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

"Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.

Watson and Holmes in "The Crooked Man" ~ Conan Doyle

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Make sure to post your tool photos under the Artifacts and Relics forum. 

Unfortunately, I see only one possible tool, but without close ups, I'm leaning towards it just being the way the rock broke. 

Regards,

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.afa7c225090ca1d8cf08da52c0bdc8d7.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree. Some of these do just look like rocks, but one or two do look worked. We do have some savvy artifact folks here, so they'll be able to provide more expert assistance. Welcome to TFF :)

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the Forum! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome to the forum from New York!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Appreciate the warm welcomes and thorough feedback. Will post this properly in Artifacts and Relics, one piece seems to show wear on the end as if it was used as a tool, but the other pieces have a very 'freshly quarried' look to them. Certainly an odd lot to find buried by a tree here in south Louisiana, I'm going to finish that dig and then post in case other things come to light. 

Thanks, everyone :)

~caroline

"Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.

Watson and Holmes in "The Crooked Man" ~ Conan Doyle