Bguild

Summer Reading Assignment for New England Fossil Hunters!

Bguild

For anyone who finds themselves up to the challenge of fossil hunting in Massachusetts/New England I have a couple of very informative books to recommend. These books are also relevant for anyone hunting in Connecticut and Rhode Island. Fossils can be hard to find here in Northeastern USA so it pays off to do your homework! I've met both of the authors of these books and they're definitely experts on the local geology/paleontology. Happy Trails! :hammer01:

Title: Carboniferous Plant Fossils of North Attleboro, Massachusetts

Author: Steve Emma

Description: An in depth guide to the Pennsylvanian aged plant fossils that can be found in the Narragansett Bay area. This area includes southern Massachusetts and much of Rhode Island.

NorthAttle.PNG.6b8ad284f4953daedcc4949432819a3a.PNG

Title: Windows into the Jurassic World

Author: Nicholas G. McDonald

Description: An in depth look at the Jurassic aged geology and fossils found in the Connecticut River Valley area which extends from Western Massachusetts down through Connecticut.

Jurassic.PNG.5145f5c997ec3bad17d804d58ec73ce5.PNG

Fossildude19

Thanks for the links!

I'll have to look into the Carboniferous book.  :dinothumb:

Window into the Jurassic World  is the only real book written specifically about Connecticut Paleontology. 

I've met Nick McDonald, and he is an expert on the CT River/Deerfield/Hartford Basins.  

His effusive passion for the CT. Fishes is a palpable in person. He is super nice - just a really great guy. 

Bguild
1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Thanks for the links!

I'll have to look into the Carboniferous book.  :dinothumb:

Window into the Jurassic World  is the only real book written specifically about Connecticut Paleontology. 

I've met Nick McDonald, and he is an expert on the CT River/Deerfield/Hartford Basins.  

His effusive passion for the CT. Fishes is a palpable in person. He is super nice - just a really great guy. 

I met Nick at the East Coast Gem and Mineral show last year. I wish I picked his brain a bit more :P . Very nice/smart fellow!

The Carboniferous book is hot off the presses! Last weekend I went to a lecture on the Pennsylvanian aged fauna of Rhode Island/Massachusetts. The talk was given by Steve Emma, the author and former president of the Rhode Island Mineral Hunters (Though he and a few others specialize in local fossils). Steve mentioned he had just published his book on local carboniferous plants so when I got home I went online and purchased a copy. The book is full of vivid examples of the local fossilized plant species and hand drawn diagrams of plant venation. Very useful for IDing specimens!