Napoleon North

Hey Napoleon!

It very well could be, it's possible that those are tiny fish ribs/teeth inside. It could also be a concretion with the bones preserved on the outside. Where was this found? In the Pierre shale we find coprolites relatively similar to what you've pictured. Do the bones penetrate all the way into the piece, or or they just preserved on the surface?

24 minutes ago, Napoleon North said:

Rinsed by the water from the rock. I also found fish and shark teeth.

What kind of sediment was it found in? It's possible it's just a very fossiliferous chunk of matrix

Was it found in a creek, landfill or driveway gravel?  Feldspar is fairly common here and looks similar but I'm not saying it isn't something else.  The shape doesn't look coprolitey to me or the matrix.  Can you take a pic of it wet?

1 minute ago, lissa318 said:

Was it found in a creek, landfill or driveway gravel?  Feldspar is fairly common here and looks similar but I'm not saying it isn't something else.  The shape doesn't look coprolitey to me or the matrix.  Can you take a pic of it wet?

I think that lissa is right;

maybe you got a mineral, something along amphibole (actinolite?) 

ciao

If you picked it up in a modern depositional environment I'd wager it's amphibolite/feldspar like lissa suggested. Those little black lines I was suspecting were bone could be the hornblende crystals, but if you have any that you're sure are specific fish or shark teeth a closeup would make our job easier.

I'm not a rock guy, but the general shape (with the straight/rounded margins) and the content of the matrix reminds me of an igneous rock fragment, most likely porphyritic rock with phenocrysts.

Try to compare with these two in my collection, from Romania:

100_4272.thumb.JPG.88ea2f1f9169f10084a73c92a6ba4e47.JPG100_4276.thumb.JPG.05328aa0c85b8216049203e8c44346c6.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Bozark said:

Those little black lines I was suspecting were bone could be the hornblende crystals

yes bozark, 

I was referring to those green/dark coloured mineral, as amphibole

ciao

Correct! The black color of phenocrysts suggests the presence of hornblende or augite.
Not a coprolite, as far the pictures permit to see.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived