Shellseeker

I love to find complete teeth with those roots.  Just adds excitement!!!

TinyMastodon2TFF.jpg.f2a5820ac48b5adf605b018f060049c7.jpgTinyMastodon3TFF.jpg.8e82c8da8b0632796d37bb192a64f1fd.jpg

However,  I did not jump up and down on this one because I did not see the details when it showed up in my screen. It was sitting on top of a fraglodon -- otherwise it would have slipped through the screen back from whence it came. Note the wear on the cusps in this 2nd photo!!!

TinyMastodon6TFF.thumb.jpg.cba91aded2cbc47a0e98b77f9bd261cc.jpg

SO, what is in the Mastodon family but has teeth that you  can barely see?> All suggestions and comments encouraged and appreciated.   

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Cool find! Glad this one didn't " slip away"!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I can't believe how small it is and looking forward to reading others responses!  What a little/big find Shellseeker!!! :)

that is a very interesting looking tooth hopefully some can help with identifying it for you, good luck and congrats.

never seen a tooth like that before, I will be curious as well!

You seem to always find interesting pieces!

Not at all a mastodon.  It would fit right in with my Eocene mammals.  it is a lower molar, but i am not sure of what.  What ages are you dealing with.  I know FL has only one site as old as Oligocene, but could this be Miocene?  

oooh... I think I got it... raccoon lower molar. Is it too small for that, though?  Now you got me thin king out loud.  

Is coati an option in FL?  

By the way... really cool little tooth.  Worth every jumping up and down you can muster.  

I agree with jpc...definitely not a mastodont.  Even the milk molar of the tiniest mastodont would be bigger than that!  What you have is likely a bunodont molar tooth of some kind of mammal...though I'm not going to try to venture as guess as to what kind!  It doesn't look quite like a raccoon.  Nice find regardless of WHAT it is!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Not at all a mastodon.  It would fit right in with my Eocene mammals.  it is a lower molar, but i am not sure of what.  What ages are you dealing with.  I know FL has only one site as old as Oligocene, but could this be Miocene?  

JPC,

I have two locations than are Blancan -- 2-5 MYAs, where I tend to find most of my whale materials and fossils of mammals from that period.  There are other Peace River locations that are Pleistocene - Miocene mix -- for example Rhino teeth can be found there. The location that I was digging seemed to have some different fossils - whale ear bones for example -- So you should be thinking Miocene as a definite possibility

Is coati an option in FL?  

I do not know because never found one -- looking for @Harry Pristis or @PrehistoricFlorida  to answer that one.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

59 minutes ago, PrehistoricFlorida said:

Coati is not found in Florida. The tooth in question is a lower raccoon molar, late Pleistocene. 

Thanks for the expertise!!!. Once I have an ID , verifying is pretty simple.

Looks to be an m3 and by size a VERY young animal.

post-42-1225750060.jpg.e704e09dc01a2e9a4cb52ae4756f5c82.jpg

A small m3 doesn't really exist.  They come in as the animal matures and only exist in one size.  I like the raccoon ID from what I can see, but if dies seem small. 

I agree with raccoon lower -- an m2.  I resisted that ID until I pulled the Dixie County example (posted above) and examined it under magnification.  No doubt about it now. 

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest