Moroccan Theropod Vertebra

Bguild

I'm calling in the Theropod experts for this one! I'm looking for an ID for this vertebrae, or whether the seller's ID is correct, or wishful thinking. The ID/Location information is below and is exactly as it is shown online by the seller. Since there's SoOoOo much conclusive research on Moroccan Theropods this one should be a breeze :wacko:. Can this vert truly be labeled as anything more than Theropod indet? Currently the seller is labeling this vert as belonging to Rugops Primus.

For size reference this vert is 4cm long. I don't own this fossil so I am currently limited to the couple of side view shots provided by the seller.

Information:

Cretaceous Theropod (Raptor) Tail (Caudal) Vertebra - Rugops primus

Tegana Formation, Aptian

Kem Kem Basin, Morocco, North Africa

Creataceous - 100 Million Years Old

RIMG3917.thumb.jpg.bfb91e43d47655f256fe22c06ea71753.jpgRIMG3916.thumb.jpg.c2395ce60df6d4ba8020c827187e2926.jpg

I'll toss in the customary @Troodon tag that comes along with these dinosaur material ID threads :D . Thanks for taking a look everyone.

• I found this Informative 1

I saw the listing of this UK seller and he's selling a number of Rugops items.  A number of issues with the listing.

First Rugops has not been described from the Kem Kem Beds its just known from Niger and their holotype only included skull elements so we do not know what the post cranial bones look like.

Tegana Formation, Aptian  (old designation used buy a few seller) most likely Ifezouane Formation see Figure.   Cenomanian in age not Aptian

Fig-1-A-Geographical-and-stratigraphic-locations-of-the-three-track-localities_20170326082250487.thumb.jpg.4eaa71ba8d409cede2a3ab37e3f5ee67.jpg

I would like to see more views unfortunately only two are provided.  If I had to guess on what is shown it would be Crock  :( so it's more than a theropod indet. :D

• I found this Informative 3

3 minutes ago, jpc said:

since you mentioned Niger, the preservation is not at all like Niger cretaceous bones. 

Correct their bones are dark in color

yeah, and blueish.  These look more like bones I have seen from Tanzania, but that is only a comment on the red and yellow colors, not the morphology.  

14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I saw the listing of this UK seller and he's selling a number of Rugops items.  A number of issues with the listing.

First Rugops has not been described from the Kem Kem Beds its just known from Niger and their holotype only included skull elements so we do not know what the post cranial bones look like.

Tegana Formation, Aptian  (old designation used buy a few seller) most likely Ifezouane Formation see Figure.   Cenomanian in age not Aptian

Fig-1-A-Geographical-and-stratigraphic-locations-of-the-three-track-localities_20170326082250487.thumb.jpg.4eaa71ba8d409cede2a3ab37e3f5ee67.jpg

I would like to see more views unfortunately only two are provided.  If I had to guess on what is shown it would be Crock  :( so it's more than a theropod indet. :D

I was skeptical of the Rugops ID (To say the least). As it stands this vert will be a pass from me. This post was mostly due to curiosity as I haven't seen much Rugops material out there.

Thanks for the info! Past Troodon posts are now coming back to me about Rugops being described from Niger. 

• 1 year later...

Hello ,
I recently bought from the same seller " Rugops Primus caudal vertebrae", I did some research and I'm afraid Troodon is right..its Croc.
I found a published document on "research gate" about "Lumbar Vertebrae in a Mugger Crocodile (Crocodylus palustris)"
And there is no doubt ... here is the research link.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/b-Panoramic-view-lateral-of-T1-to-T12_fig2_318715377

20180812_212132.jpg

20180812_201722.jpg

On 4/28/2017 at 7:47 PM, Bguild said:

Information:

Cretaceous Theropod (Raptor) Tail (Caudal) Vertebra - Rugops primus

Tegana Formation, Aptian

As the others have said. Much of this is wrong. Cenomanian, not Aptian, not Tegana formation and Rugops primus is not know from the Kem Kem beds, and it's also not a raptor.

Looks like it could possibly be croc caudal.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite