jgj1120789

Hey guys!  I found this today and I'm pretty sure it's a fossilized shark's tooth.  If it is, is anyone able to take a guess as to what t belonged to?  I'll include some pics of my other finds today too.

:) (The bigger one is the one in question.  Actually, they all are, but I care more about the big one :))

IMG_5008.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any signs of the big one being a tooth.  It does have a suggestive shape but it looks like a nicely water-worn pebble to me.  Of course...I don't claim to be an expert at identifying shark teeth!  Some of the other specimens illustrated in your first photo are shark teeth and a couple of them might even be dolphin teeth but I'll leave them up to the experts!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Hi There,

The ones on the upper left of my image are Hemipristis (Snaggletooth) lower teeth. The tooth just below the Hemis is a (Great White) Carcharodon carcharias.  The great white image courtesy of 'that' auction site. With a few of the others from Dusky or Bull shark Carcharhinus sp.  Very worn.  A good quick guide. http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/evolution/guide_f.htm

PS. I have no idea on the large suggestive shape .. really too worn to tell.

Ident.jpg.bbd507dc739f200bc9877130a020a67e.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

2 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hi There,

The ones on the upper left of my image are Hemipristis (Snaggletooth) lower teeth. The tooth just below the Hemis is a (Great White) Carcharodon carcharias.  The great white image courtesy of 'that' auction site. With a few of the others from Dusky or Bull shark Carcharhinus sp.  Very worn.  A good quick guide. http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/evolution/guide_f.htm

PS. I have no idea on the large suggestive shape .. really too worn to tell.

Ident.jpg.bbd507dc739f200bc9877130a020a67e.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

Thanks to both of you for your input!  I'm surprised that that one is a great white...it's extremely small.  Maybe a back tooth or that of a juvenile?

12 minutes ago, jgj1120789 said:

Thanks to both of you for your input!  I'm surprised that that one is a great white...it's extremely small.  Maybe a back tooth or that of a juvenile?

Sure,

Yes, depending on the tooth position and size of the individual the tooth size can vary greatly.  It looks like it has a hint of serrations remaining so I'm pretty sure it's a great white tooth. Your tooth also looks to be from the lower jaw (?) which has teeth that are quite narrow. Just a guess.

GreatWhite_LowerJaw.jpg.cf14c85ccd9f1f09b5d94593d7e3d83a.jpg

This is just a small sampling of a few sizes from South Carolina. Probably about the same size as your individual.  

WhiteShark.thumb.jpg.b56e956c27fb78af1801ba1d131b39f1.jpg

And in the future it would be good for you to drop something in the image so we can judge the size of the teeth. 

Cheers,

Brett 

Archived