Looking for help!

TwilitSquid

Hey everyone! I'm new around here and found this place for some help.

When I was doing field work I came across this guy and I can't seem to figure out what it is. Since I'm a geologist, I'll have a chance to talk to my old paleo professor but I wanted to ask everyone here first. I found it in the Charco, TX area on the shoreline of the San Antonio River.

If anyone needs better images, I can do my best to add more. 

Thank you!!

IMG_9206.jpg

IMG_9205.jpg

Edited by TwilitSquid

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Bet it's a piece of an ankle :headscratch:

I made sure to email my professor about that. I'm lost on what this little guy could be. Also I don't know if this would help, but it's about 2 inches long.

• 2 weeks later...

This kind of looks like a horse talus, that is missing sheared off portion. I don't know how large these were in fossil horse species.

I think is too worn for a proper diagnosis, but it looks like a pelvis fragment, to me.

Pelvis.thumb.jpg.bedf66949ce71b8fa4cef1d28a554ea0.jpgPelvis_text.thumb.jpg.b6d7ae76677ba43ee1e50a5f7f354f7a.jpg

excerpt from E. Schmid. 1972. Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library